News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Spock is gay!

Started by Martinus, October 17, 2011, 01:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteZachary Quinto Comes Out As Gay In New York Magazine, Talks 'Margin Call,' 'Angels In America'

Zachary Quinto, inheritor of the iconic Mr. Spock role in JJ Abrams' "Star Trek" reboot and the star of the upcoming film "Margin Call," reveals that he is gay in a new profile in New York Magazine. The star, 34, credits his role in the Broadway play "Angels In America," in which he plays a gay man who leaves his AIDS-afflicted boyfriend, for helping to put him further in touch with the hopes felt and struggles faced by both gay and straight Americans, and discusses his political outlook for the rights movement.

Living in New York during the play's run, Quinto says the experience was both challenging and rewarding, and gave him a fresh perspective on the work that needs to be done in the fight for equality. On one hand, New York State legalized gay marriage; on the other, a gay teen committed suicide earlier this year because of unending bullying.

"As a gay man I look at that and say there's a hopelessness that surrounds it," he says, "but as a human being I look at it and say 'Why? Where's this disparity coming from, and why can't we as a culture and society dig deeper to examine that?' We're terrified of facing ourselves."

Quinto has long been an advocate for gay rights -- he performed in a 2009 staging of "The Laramie Project: 10 Years Later" and appeared at a banquet for the cause that same weekend, and put out an "It Gets Better" video the next year. That often fed into speculation over his sexuality, as did the fact that he's played a number of gay roles, and is doing so again in his latest television show, "American Horror Story."

In an interview with the New York Times last year, he said he preferred discussion about his advocacy over personal matters.

"The fact that these things are such hot-button issues right now, socially and politically, I would much rather talk about that than talk about who I sleep with," Quinto said. "I would love to be a voice in this maelstrom of chaos and obsessive celebrity infatuation that says, 'Let's talk about something that matters.'"

As Spock, he had a blossoming romance with Zoë Saldana's Uhra; he just appeared this fall as the ex-boyfriend of Anna Faris in "What's Your Number.

Another hot guy batting for our team.  :cool:

Zanza

Zoupa

Title is misleading.

I'll also second the who cares from Zanza.

sbr

Zanza and Zoupa?  I always thought you were the same person.  :hmm:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Zoupa on October 17, 2011, 01:45:42 AM
Title is misleading.

:yes:

Sylar may be gay, but Spock is an old straight Jewish dude.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

BTW, the REAL Spock is not gay, is on his second marriage and has two kids.

While checking up I found out both Nimoy and Shatner are Ukrainian Jews.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on October 17, 2011, 01:42:21 AM
Who cares?
There aren't many out young actors.  Generally I think it's something actors are advised against, even Ian McKellen was in the closet until he was in his forties or fifties when he was outed.  I can't think of many comparable actors who are openly gay (his age, his level of success and the rest) and the idea that Hollywood's just robustly hetero doesn't ring true.

This happening is a good thing in the normalisation of the gay :)
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Misleading title of the decade!

Just because he played the role once in a questionable attempt at revival (and otherwise being a nobody) does not justify to call him "Spock". Nimoy still owns that brand.

Viking

The Pediatrician Dr Benjamin Spock also was not gay.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Josquius

:unsure:
I thought he'd done this ages ago?
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2011, 02:17:13 AM
Quote from: Zanza on October 17, 2011, 01:42:21 AM
Who cares?
There aren't many out young actors.  Generally I think it's something actors are advised against, even Ian McKellen was in the closet until he was in his forties or fifties when he was outed.  I can't think of many comparable actors who are openly gay (his age, his level of success and the rest) and the idea that Hollywood's just robustly hetero doesn't ring true.

This happening is a good thing in the normalisation of the gay :)

Maybe if this were the 90s.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Also, good call, Mart. Look at the nerd rage.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

If he knew Martinus existed, he'd turn back to normal.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 17, 2011, 02:17:13 AM
There aren't many out young actors.
are there that many gays to being with?  Is there a lower proportion of gay actors than in the general population?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.