News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Future of the Catholic Church

Started by Martinus, October 15, 2011, 02:19:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on October 24, 2011, 08:53:10 AM
Languages, at least, have an external reality relative to their users.  Sure, they're a construct, but so's an automobile, and an automobile has an external reality relative to its driver.  I'd argue the same for history and culture, though with history, we have to allow for the possibility that it was entirely fictional.  (No doubt parts of what is popularly viewed as history, such as the story about George Washington chopping down the cherry tree, is fiction, and other parts are distorted and/or speculative, but the main thrust of historical narrative, is, I think, reasonably accurate.)

That was my entire point.  We take these concepts we make up and when enough people agree that they are real they become as real as any material object.  I mean at the begining a language is just noise (and symbols) but to people who agree on what the sounds represent they are this incredibly powerful thing.

QuoteYour inferiority has long caused us to suspect that.

This is not the first time you come off a bit hostile to me.  Do you just not like me?  Should I continue to talk to you or is this just you joking around with me?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2011, 08:54:28 AM
Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2011, 08:37:18 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 23, 2011, 06:33:08 AM
1) I'm flemish

Good because I am not an American I am a Texan.

An important distinction.

Yeah ok maybe I was not the best person to make that remark  :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Quote from: Ed Anger on October 23, 2011, 06:45:44 PM
I'd assume the future church will have lasers and a flying Space Pope.
That would only be cool if he has a Captain Pike robo-wheelchair.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."<br /><br />I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2011, 09:12:45 AM
Quote from: dps on October 24, 2011, 08:53:10 AM
Languages, at least, have an external reality relative to their users.  Sure, they're a construct, but so's an automobile, and an automobile has an external reality relative to its driver.  I'd argue the same for history and culture, though with history, we have to allow for the possibility that it was entirely fictional.  (No doubt parts of what is popularly viewed as history, such as the story about George Washington chopping down the cherry tree, is fiction, and other parts are distorted and/or speculative, but the main thrust of historical narrative, is, I think, reasonably accurate.)

That was my entire point.  We take these concepts we make up and when enough people agree that they are real they become as real as any material object.  I mean at the begining a language is just noise (and symbols) but to people who agree on what the sounds represent they are this incredibly powerful thing.

Oh, yeah, I agree with you and not Raz on this, though my argument was more along the line that the noise and symbols still exist, even without any agreement on their meaning.  For example, there are some ancient texts that haven't ever been translated, so there's no agreement on their meaning, but said texts still exist--they aren't just mental constructs.  (Of course, one can take the philosophical tack that the entire cosmos is just a mental construct and that nothing has external physical existance, but I don't think that was what Raz was getting at.)

QuoteYour inferiority has long caused us to suspect that.

This is not the first time you come off a bit hostile to me.  Do you just not like me?  Should I continue to talk to you or is this just you joking around with me?

Just joking around.  Basically, I'm a smartass, and sometimes I just can't resist trying to throw in a zinger.  Sure, I do disagree with you on some political/social issues, but I don't dislike you.  Surely you don't think that I don't believe that you're an American? 

EDIT:  Looking at my attempted joke earlier, I see why it might seem hostile instead of joking.  The joke was supposed to be in suggesting that non-Americans are inferior as a group (something that I don't actually believe, hence a joke) not that you are inferior.  Sorry.

dps

Quote from: PDH on October 24, 2011, 09:27:20 AM

Ever notice that Pike's looks a good bit like Davros'?

Neil

Quote from: dps on October 24, 2011, 09:39:36 AM
Quote from: PDH on October 24, 2011, 09:27:20 AM
Ever notice that Pike's looks a good bit like Davros'?
Sort of, but Davros's isn't quite as all-encompassing, and has more toys.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Martinus

The Catholic Church in Poland has started an anti-Halloween campaign, saying this is a pagan and satanistic holiday. Parents are being warned that if they allow their children to participate in Halloween parties and events, they are making them susceptible to satanists, sects and demonic possessions.

I just love how they are marginalizing themselves at an increasing pace lately. 10 more years and we will have discos in cathedrals. :yeah:

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2011, 08:37:18 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on October 23, 2011, 06:33:08 AM
1) I'm flemish

Good because I am not an American I am a Texan.

Lets imagine, Rick Perry gets his wish and Texas Secedes, do you prefer to move to the US or stay with Texas?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on October 26, 2011, 01:47:49 AM
10 more years and we will have discos in cathedrals. :yeah:

Poland - always late to the party.