Swine Flue outbreak in Mexico, US; 20 confirmed dead.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2009, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Grey Fox

It seems that Mexican are simply not use to having the flu.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grallon on April 27, 2009, 07:09:43 AM
Gods it'll be just like sipping cognac when the Titanic founders  :wub:
New is slow reaching your neck of the woods, isn't it?  Hate to tell you this, but you missed your chance to sip cognac when the Titanic founders by some 97 years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DisturbedPervert

Quote from: Tamas on April 28, 2009, 05:40:11 AM
Any deaths so far outside of Mexico?

Give it time.  It's just beginning elsewhere and people are going to hospital over sniffles, when that's all Mexico had they didn't realize anything was wrong.  Prepare to die.   :cry:

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Neil

Quote from: Monoriu on April 28, 2009, 04:05:28 AM
I now really regret not stockpiling some Tamiflu earlier.  By now they should be out of stock in all drug stores.  The only way to get them now is by going to a doctor/hospital - but that's probably the last thing I want to do if I am infected.
Maybe some tiger penis will help?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on April 28, 2009, 05:45:01 AM
Epidemiologists are generally of the opinion that if we channelled all the money from pandemic panics into diseases that actually do kill vast swathes of people, the money would be much better spent. But the pressure is on governments from the public in wealthy nations to protect themselves rather than save poor people. 1.6 million people died from TB in 2005, for instance. That's 24 per 100,000 population.

Well, naturally people are more concerned about what might affect them personally. Witness all the angst over the recession. People in some third-world countries were dying of starvation and whatnot both before and during this recession - but the press is far more concerned with people in the first world losing their jobs or their investments, than hordes of third-worlders dying.

Similarly, we in the first world keep people alive with expensive heart surgery and the like, when a pittance of the same resources could save hundreds of third world lives.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Brazen

There were 69,000 deaths from TB in Europe in 2002, 46,000 in The Americas in the same period and 749 in the US in 2001. It's not just a developing world problem. It just doesn't have the glamour of the pandemic prefix or the association with an animal.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Neil

Quote from: Brazen on April 28, 2009, 08:15:34 AM
There were 69,000 deaths from TB in Europe in 2002, 46,000 in The Americas in the same period and 749 in the US in 2001. It's not just a developing world problem. It just doesn't have the glamour of the pandemic prefix or the association with an animal.
749 deaths?  More people die in the US from accidentally inserting their penises into blenders.

As for Europe, well large swathes of Europe ARE 'the developing world'.  Russia and its former colonies, for example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Brazen on April 28, 2009, 08:15:34 AM

I'm not sure I follow. Depending on definitions, large parts of "the Americas" and "Europe" *are* "developing world".

There is no doubt at all that people in the first world are - more indifferent to the diseases of  poverty. That's simply a symptom of the fact that they are more indifferent to the *existence* of poverty and inequality, and are unwilling to pay the price of reducing the same - whether in their own countries or, even more so, in other countries.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habsburg