Swine Flue outbreak in Mexico, US; 20 confirmed dead.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2009, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

TB is making a real comeback due to the development of some highly drug-resistant varieties.

My wife has had to be tested for TB due to working in the jail. <_<
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Neil

Quote from: Habsburg on April 28, 2009, 01:10:34 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 28, 2009, 08:19:28 AM
What's TB?

Consumption, what Legend Kidman died of at the end of Moulin Rouge!
Nicole Kidman wasn't in Legend.  That was Tom Cruise and Mia Sara.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on April 28, 2009, 01:12:48 PM
TB is making a real comeback due to the development of some highly drug-resistant varieties.

My wife has had to be tested for TB due to working in the jail. <_<

Certainly; but it remains the case that TB is strongly causually linked to "poverty". It is stereoypically a disease of the poor (and of course prisioners in jail fit that bill). This was true in the past and remains true today.

Citation: http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/picrender.fcgi?artid=1696420&blobtype=pdf

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Berkut

Quote from: Brazen on April 28, 2009, 08:15:34 AM
There were 69,000 deaths from TB in Europe in 2002, 46,000 in The Americas in the same period and 749 in the US in 2001. It's not just a developing world problem. It just doesn't have the glamour of the pandemic prefix or the association with an animal.

How much is spent fighting it every year?

I bet it is a lot.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

fhdz

Quote from: Neil on April 28, 2009, 07:43:35 AM
Maybe some tiger penis will help?

You know Seedy's not around as much anymore when other people have to dial in his jokes.
and the horse you rode in on

ulmont

Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 01:29:29 PM

Just under $3 billion US, with something like $4.3 billion needed to hit the WHO's target, if I'm reading this report correctly.
http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/2009/pdf/chapter3.pd

Mr.Penguin

Breaking news from the BBC website:

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declares state of emergency over flu threat... :huh:
Real men drag their Guns into position

Spell check is for losers

Berkut

Quote from: ulmont on April 28, 2009, 01:42:26 PM
Quote from: Berkut on April 28, 2009, 01:29:29 PM

Just under $3 billion US, with something like $4.3 billion needed to hit the WHO's target, if I'm reading this report correctly.
http://www.who.int/tb/publications/global_report/2009/pdf/chapter3.pd

I kind of suspected that would be the case.

It's like when people say that apparently nobody cares about vehicle fatalities, because we spend $X on some other issue, when in fact so many more people die in car accidents.

The reality is of course that we spend an insane amount of money trying to prevent vehicular fatalities.

I imagine that if we spent $4.3 billion/year, the target number would be $6 billion.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

Ed Anger Disease diary: day 2

Temp: around 97
No cough
Got a case of the squirts though. Shouldn't have used that sugar feee syrup with sobitol in it.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Mr.Penguin on April 28, 2009, 01:48:06 PM
Breaking news from the BBC website:

California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declares state of emergency over flu threat... :huh:
Makes sense.  California has terrible health care and is full of filthy Mexicans, who are most vulnerable to the disease.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Martinus