Swine Flue outbreak in Mexico, US; 20 confirmed dead.

Started by Syt, April 25, 2009, 04:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Tamas on April 26, 2009, 03:31:35 PM

Altough I think (and hope) this is just another bird flu panic attack, the question is interesting.

Hasn't it already killed a lot more people then the Bird Flu ever did in such a short time?

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lucidor

Quote from: Lucidor on April 26, 2009, 03:27:37 PM
The BBC piece, where they speculate about around 200 deaths is worrying.

I am wondering, if this turns out to be sort of a rerun of the Spanish flu, with significant mortality rates in the "not infant, not elderly" group: Would you still go to work if there was a risk of you contracting it? I'm leaning towards that it's my duty and that I have to go, but I work in healthcare, so it's a special case.

Altough I think (and hope) this is just another bird flu panic attack, the question is interesting. The geniuses at my office thought its a good idea to keep several hundred people in a single open space, so I would be almost guaranteed to catch this thing if it reaches the country. Yet I would not skip work because of it.
The Spanish flu was around for a long time, several months every year it came, IIRC, and absence from even non-essential positions would be noticed. I'd notice if my trash wasn't picked up or if no-one was stocking the supermarket.

Still, after the internet came, it's easier to "not meet anyone except your family."

Lucidor

Quote from: Fireblade on April 26, 2009, 03:37:30 PM
Is this an Arab plot to destroy the Jews? :o

Clearly, it is our duty to wipe out the swine from the face of the earth. We should, as a country, devote all our efforts into making sure no pig walks on God's Green Earth ever again. My friends, it is time to eat BBQ until this menace is exterminated!
Yeah, Israelis eat a lot of pigs...

Still, I'd give it a go. I've always wanted to try that bacon monstrosity I read about some time ago.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2009, 03:23:42 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 03:22:25 PM
Hockey Night In Canada?  That was last night, dude.

Just in case you don't know:

Head
Nigger
In
Charge
I know.  But every time you use it, I'll say it anyways.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Given the terrible state of health care in the United States, I'm going to consider all American posters to be dead.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 05:31:07 PM
Given the terrible state of health care in the United States, I'm going to consider all American posters to be dead.

The U.S. has been the pharmaceuticals cash cow market for years. All the Tamiflu they can make will be sold to American rich people, while Canadian hospitals will have three month waiting lists for aspirin.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2009, 05:47:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 05:31:07 PM
The U.S. has been the pharmaceuticals cash cow market for years. All the Tamiflu they can make will be sold to American rich people, while Canadian hospitals will have three month waiting lists for aspirin.
Hooray for generics.

Besides, are there any rich Americans left?  Either way, you're a dead man.

alfred russel

Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 05:56:30 PM

Hooray for generics.

You shouldn't be taunting Americans about their economy now that oil is around $50 a barrel and your currency has regained its traditional monopoly money status.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Neil

Quote from: alfred russel on April 26, 2009, 06:20:48 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 26, 2009, 05:56:30 PM
Hooray for generics.

You shouldn't be taunting Americans about their economy now that oil is around $50 a barrel and your currency has regained its traditional monopoly money status.
Why not?  Currency value has little to do with economic strength.  Only the blessing of god matters.

At any rate, we're getting away from the point here.  The point is that no country without public health care can survive a major outbreak, and that America will be judged for not adopting proper policies.

Habsburg

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 26, 2009, 03:37:44 PM

Altough I think (and hope) this is just another bird flu panic attack, the question is interesting.

Hasn't it already killed a lot more people then the Bird Flu ever did in such a short time?

Bird Flu never converted over to human to human transmission?  It stayed avain to human.

HVC

I hate the news. God damn sky is falling, ratings grabbing mother fuckers.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

grumbler

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 26, 2009, 03:17:13 PM
Don't panic. The chain of command is bulletproof! There are no American tanks in Baghdad!

Hey! :mad:

Baghdad Bob is MY schtick! :contract:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

katmai

Quote from: Martinus on April 27, 2009, 01:30:30 AM
I have sniffles. Do I have: swine flu?  :cry:

We'd be only so lucky.  :P

Talked to my dad down in MBM's neck of woods, said that churches stopped services and schools were going to be closed as folks are nervous.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son