Alex Salmond to let 16-year-olds vote in bid to secure independence

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2011, 01:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 12, 2011, 03:42:31 PM
There will ever be a fuzziness to the definition, if only because it relies on "imagined communities", to borrow from B. Anderson.

Sure but in Anderson's narrative, the "imagined communities" are to a significant extent constructions of a politicized elite taking advantage of the emergence of mass literacy.  Thus, Anderson, like most theorists of nations and nationalism, places the phenomemon in time no earlier than the late 18th century.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Why is brazil part if the Hispanic super state but Mexico isn't? You fail at failing
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on October 12, 2011, 03:37:45 PM
The Phillipines as part of the anglo union?
It's like a lovable English speaking Mexico, they're in.
Indonesia / Thsiland / Burma / India???
Lots of historical cultural overlap.
Taiwan / Japan?

Israel as part of Europe???

They both need to go somewhere, and those were the best bets. From what I hear Taiwan's not nearly as bitter about the colonization as Korea is.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on October 12, 2011, 01:39:34 PM
it's the one you gave me.  I'm simply asking how many Israelis believe their country shouldn't exist.  It sounds bizarre to me that someone emigrates and chooses to live in a such a country.
I'd argue a solid majority of the Arab Israelis probably believe that Israel should not exist.  It sounds bizarre to me that a supposedly educated member of the board doesn't think there are differences within Israel, with such a polyglot population.

In any case, what percentage of Israelis have to "believe their country shouldn't exist" to prove, or disprove, the argument that you never actually made that used  "how many Israelis believe their country shouldn't exist" as a metric?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 12, 2011, 03:45:59 PMAFAICT, French republicanism had a very limited cultural influence in Quebec. With its anticlerical bent, first in 1792, and then in 1905, it was denounced in French Canada, paradoxically helping to secure a distinct national identity.
This is a totally separate issue and a very broad question but what sort of impact did France and changes there have on Quebec in the 19th century?  I'm assuming that Canada in general was looking to the UK and, possibly to a lesser (or greater) extent to the US.  What sort of cultural kinships did Quebec have in the same period?
Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Oexmelin on October 12, 2011, 02:22:56 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 12, 2011, 01:48:33 PM
I disagree - most nations were designed, quite consciously, and the US is definitely among those. 

States, institutions, constitutions were designed. But nations? This makes most sense if one takes the legalistic point of view of nations as states.
I agree that nations are different from states, and have not been successfully designed.  There have been attempts, though.  I think you would conclude that those attempts are/were doomed to failure, and I would tend to agree.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Grey Fox

Tim is awesome, all you other people are just jealous of his milkshake.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zoupa

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2011, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: Oexmelin on October 12, 2011, 03:45:59 PMAFAICT, French republicanism had a very limited cultural influence in Quebec. With its anticlerical bent, first in 1792, and then in 1905, it was denounced in French Canada, paradoxically helping to secure a distinct national identity.
This is a totally separate issue and a very broad question but what sort of impact did France and changes there have on Quebec in the 19th century?  I'm assuming that Canada in general was looking to the UK and, possibly to a lesser (or greater) extent to the US.  What sort of cultural kinships did Quebec have in the same period?

I have no idea, but I'm curious too. Oex? Enlighten us svp.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 12, 2011, 07:57:04 AM
The Chinese all learn English and do not want us to learn Mandarin.

Don't take Mono's opinion to represent all of China.

I mean... you can... it's funny. But it's not always that accurate.

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 12, 2011, 05:37:47 PM

As I understand it (as an outsider) Quebec (or at least French Quebec) was a very insular place, deeply tied to the Catholic church, and very rural.  Montreal was a much more multicultural, and English-speaking place than it is now.  I don't think it had a ton of "cultural kinships" until the Quiet Revolution of the 60s.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Valmy

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 13, 2011, 09:38:02 AM
I don't understand "Cultural kinship"?

You know, reading French books and watching French films and thinking 'hey you know those Euros are not so different from us'.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."