News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nobel Peace Prize does it again -

Started by Viking, October 07, 2011, 08:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Nobel's willto the person who shall have done the most or the best work for fraternity between nations, for the abolition or reduction of standing armies and for the holding and promotion of peace congresses.
Clearly this is these three womens.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2011, 03:51:48 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 07, 2011, 03:32:26 PM
Like what he did or not, it's a difficult to claim that it contributed to peace.   <_<
He deserves it as much as any of the social networks or Arab bloggers people have suggested.

What dictatorship did Assange  help overthrow?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 03:49:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2011, 02:30:22 PM
They gave it to Obama right after his election.
Obama did defeat McCain.  That was already a giant contribution to world peace.

Keeping Palin away from potential power.  I suppose that is worth something.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 03:53:08 PMWhat dictatorship did Assange  help overthrow?
At the time wikileaks was cited a lot in relatin to Tunisia and Egypt :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

DGuller

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2011, 03:55:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 03:49:40 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2011, 02:30:22 PM
They gave it to Obama right after his election.
Obama did defeat McCain.  That was already a giant contribution to world peace.

Keeping Palin away from potential power.  I suppose that is worth something.
I don't know about that.  I can see Palin's presidency leading to eternal peace on earth.

Eddie Teach

Instead of the first President who was a black man, we'd have the first President who shagged one.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2011, 03:59:01 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 03:53:08 PMWhat dictatorship did Assange  help overthrow?
At the time wikileaks was cited a lot in relatin to Tunisia and Egypt :mellow:

Without much justification, I might add.  Tunisia's spark was the self-immolation of the young man.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Sheilbh

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 07, 2011, 04:05:37 PMWithout much justification, I might add.  Tunisia's spark was the self-immolation of the young man.
Agreed.  As I say as justified as getting excited about Zeinobia's blog, as interesting as it is, or Twitter.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on October 07, 2011, 08:48:21 AM
Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2011, 08:20:43 AM
I'm disappointed, again.

The committee had been warned against giving it to Wael Ghonim on the grounds that it might piss off the egyptians. If anything that is a sure sign that the comittee is a bunch of pussies and the arab spring is dead.
The Arab Spring's not dead and I think giving it Ghonim would be continuing the Western obsession with the revolutions as being about social media which I find tedious, inaccurate and a bit insulting. 
+1

Also I think it would be premature as we really aren't far enough from the events to how Arab Spring and its aftermath will pan out.

That statement, of course, is made under the same rubric that would not have granted Obama a peace prize when it did --- and as things have panned out, still would not have. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2011, 08:30:27 AM
They just weren't ballsy enough to give it to Assange.

Shopping the secrets of a NATO ally doesn't sit well with the President of the Council of Europe (who is head of the Nobel Comittee).
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 07, 2011, 04:04:23 PM
Instead of the first President who was a black man, we'd have the first President who shagged one.

James Buchanan got around.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Josquius

I was really expecting it to go to someone more Arab Spring related. As was all the press. I recall reading a few days ago that the buzz was that this time the winner was to be quite a big deal.
But nope.
██████
██████
██████