News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nobel Peace Prize does it again -

Started by Viking, October 07, 2011, 08:20:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

I'm disappointed, again.

The committee had been warned against giving it to Wael Ghonim on the grounds that it might piss off the egyptians. If anything that is a sure sign that the comittee is a bunch of pussies and the arab spring is dead.

But still..

Ellen Johnson Sirleaf is the only sitting african leader that might be eligible for the Mo Mowlam Prize. It's almost like Barack Obama, she's the only reasonably uncorrupt leader in africa. She meets the bare minimum standard for an elected official, in africa that is apparently a great achievement. But the other two, who the fuck are they?

While Madame Sirleaf should be a good candidate after retirement or replacement through elections, doing it now doesn't seem right. Unfortunately it is a case of giving it in hopes that it causes better behaviour. That didn't work for Obama since he barely missed a beat after getting the prize and bombed the moon and pakistan.

The Nobel prize is still living on past glories and I don't think that any of the laureates this year edify the prize.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Martinus

They just weren't ballsy enough to give it to Assange.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Viking on October 07, 2011, 08:20:43 AM
I'm disappointed, again.

The committee had been warned against giving it to Wael Ghonim on the grounds that it might piss off the egyptians. If anything that is a sure sign that the comittee is a bunch of pussies and the arab spring is dead.
The Arab Spring's not dead and I think giving it Ghonim would be continuing the Western obsession with the revolutions as being about social media which I find tedious, inaccurate and a bit insulting.  Not that I can criticise Ghonim who's a bit of a hero.

I'd heard of the Yemeni woman and I think she's very admirable.  Sirleaf-Johnson seems impressive.  While I think you're kind of right about sitting the truth is that she's done pretty good work in democratically governing a country that's emerging from a civil war - which I'd argue deserves recognition as much as a leader in office signing a peace accord with their neighbour.  I don't know the Liberian campaigner at all.

I think these are pretty good picks.  Way above the silly ones like the UN or Obama.  Also I quite like these prizes when they don't seem to be trying to make a grand, self-important statement (Al Gore) but are instead focusing on a particular issue.  In this case I think women's rights, women's role in ending conflicts and the fact that in the conflicts we've had in recent years (especially in Africa) women bear an enormous amount of suffering in the world.
Let's bomb Russia!

KRonn

Sheilbh, interesting additional info. And I do agree with you on women's rights around the world. In too many places women are second or third class persons, subject to some nasty treatment, stuff that we'd cringe at in our societies, whether you're male or female.

Sheilbh

Quote from: KRonn on October 07, 2011, 10:00:48 AM
Sheilbh, interesting additional info. And I do agree with you on women's rights around the world. In too many places women are second or third class persons, subject to some nasty treatment, stuff that we'd cringe at in our societies, whether you're male or female.
I think specifically in the context of conflict there are issues specifically to do with women.  After all these are three women who've come from countries where military forces have used rape as a weapon. 
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

The Peace Prize has been a joke for years. Norwegians are morons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 07, 2011, 08:30:27 AM

Also he didn't do anything useful.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 02:16:06 PM

They gave it to Obama right after his election.

AnchorClanker

Like what he did or not, it's a difficult to claim that it contributed to peace.   <_<
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2011, 02:30:22 PM

He didn't do anything useful either.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

crazy canuck

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 03:45:24 PM

He didn't do anything useful either.

Exactly.  The precedent has been set.

Razgovory

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 07, 2011, 03:32:26 PM

Like what he did or not, it's a difficult to claim that it contributed to peace.   <_<

It did increase strain on International relations and made countries less like likely to be open with one another.  That's like contributing to peace.  Or rather the opposite of promoting peace.

DGuller

Obama did defeat McCain.  That was already a giant contribution to world peace.

Sheilbh

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 07, 2011, 03:32:26 PM
He deserves it as much as any of the social networks or Arab bloggers people have suggested.
Let's bomb Russia!