And we're back!

Main Menu

What causes unemployment?

Started by HisMajestyBOB, October 05, 2011, 03:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: DGuller on October 07, 2011, 04:46:50 PM
:huh: I never post while I'm working.
Same (not amymore).  My new company treats me so well I'd feel too bad about being non-productive while I'm at work.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

To vastly oversimplify, Keynesians would say unemployment is caused by insufficient demand, whereas a Monetarist or member of the Austrian school would say it's caused by the slowness with which the supply of and demand for labor react to changes in conditions.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 03:09:38 PM
To vastly oversimplify, Keynesians would say unemployment is caused by insufficient demand, whereas a Monetarist or member of the Austrian school would say it's caused by the slowness with which the supply of and demand for labor react to changes in conditions.
And a rational person would say that Keynesians have it right, and that members of the Austrian school are charlatans.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on October 08, 2011, 03:16:24 PM
And a rational person would say that Keynesians have it right, and that members of the Austrian school are charlatans.

Damn good point.  Wish I had considered that.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 03:31:07 PM

Damn good point.  Wish I had considered that.

I wish lots of Republicans had considered that.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 08, 2011, 03:09:38 PM

:)
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Siege

I work from 0545 to 1700. No overtime.
The military sucks.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on October 09, 2011, 02:49:53 AM
The military sucks.

My usual day is also 11+ hours of work, no overtime.

The Brain

Ironic that the mighty Mart admits to being the same as the loser brutes in the military he despises so much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

The Army sucks.

I work from 0755 to 1500. (with a 1hr 20 minute lunch)

And maybe an hour or two of homework.  :P

Siege

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 09, 2011, 05:30:36 AM
The Army sucks.

When do you do PT?

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Martinus

Quote from: Siege on October 09, 2011, 06:44:24 AM
Quote from: Tonitrus on October 09, 2011, 05:30:36 AM
The Army sucks.

When do you do PT?

PT?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2011, 06:54:45 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on October 05, 2011, 06:22:40 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on October 05, 2011, 06:06:26 PM
I have a degree from a decent state school, 3.49 GPA, Honors Program, 6 months studying abroad, internship experience, 2 years working as an English teacher abroad, and conversational skills in German and Korean. I've applied to government jobs, contractor jobs, admin assistant, secretarial, and landscaping jobs, and gotten none of them. Tell me what job I should apply for, since I apparently feel "entitled" to those jobs and don't deserve them. And I'm not alone in my position.

Stop whining!  Work harder!  THE SOD MUST FLOW.

:lol:

And while I'm ranting and raving, I want to register my absolute disgust at the current Republican party. Their entire response to this mess has been to blame the victims (unemployed) and push only for tax cuts for the wealthiest and for corporations. Fuck them, and double-fuck Rep. Cantor, who tried to prevent FEMA disaster relief even for the counties in his district suffering from flooding.
Well, at least he isn't being a hypocrite.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point