Chinese village unveils skyscraper taller than the Chrysler Building

Started by jimmy olsen, October 10, 2011, 01:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

They have to pad their GDP figures somehow, build, build, build.
Recent wobbles in China are quite worrying. For China`s bubble to finally burst I wouldn`t mind so much normally but when the rest of the world is in such a state....
██████
██████
██████

Neil

It looks like a cartoon, where the villain that holds the village under his thumb is living in the skyscraper that obviously doesn't belong.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 10, 2011, 03:32:50 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 10, 2011, 01:11:31 PM

Looks like a city building game.

You can see the zoning just to the right of the tower, some dense commercial, light residential and maybe a subway station. What does orange stand for again? I forget  :hmm:

Monoriu

Where did these guys get the funding to do this?  The more I think about it, the more I worry about my Chinese bank stocks  :ph34r:

Richard Hakluyt

There is one hell of an investment bubble..........but we all know this, the question is when it will pop?

Scipio

I thought I had seen some ugly buildings before.  Wow.  That is appalling.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Valmy

What is wrong with the Chinese?  This looks almost exactly like the kind of thing that led to the 1997 Pacific economic meltdown.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on October 11, 2011, 09:36:56 AM
What is wrong with the Chinese?  This looks almost exactly like the kind of thing that led to the 1997 Pacific economic meltdown.

The central government has less control of the regions economies than they'd like. They know there's a bubble, but the various factors encouraging individual and local actors to perpetuate the bubble are still there.

DontSayBanana

Thanks to that statue of the cow and the cartoony styling, I'm forever going to think of this building as "The Mooby Building."
Experience bij!

MadImmortalMan

Huh.

http://www.businessinsider.com/huaxi-richest-village-china-photos-2011-10

That village is listed on their stock exchange. It's like some kind of visionary bubblemanic corporatist Potemkin.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers