4 Idiots Who Show Up Wherever Religion Is Discussed Online

Started by Solmyr, October 04, 2011, 06:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 02:46:11 PM
no, I really am like Carl Sagan (but also with Bill Maher's comic wit when I want it)....

No.  You are not.  You really are guy number one.  :frusty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

Quote from: Barrister on October 04, 2011, 03:26:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 02:46:11 PM
no, I really am like Carl Sagan (but also with Bill Maher's comic wit when I want it)....

No.  You are not.  You really are guy number one.  :frusty:

I think he knows that.  I think it was a joke.

Slargos

My hatred of the muslims is not rooted in Islam as such, but rather the arab culture of violence and tribalism. Syrian christians aren't much different from muslims in how they behave, so religion is obviously only a small part of it.

I am nominally christian, being that I am raised in a scandie-lutheran cultural tradition and still haven't actually left the swedish state church which every Swede at least used to be automatically joined to.

While I am definitely religious in a sense, I hold no illusion about being able to definitely say that there is only one god, or that I have any idea about its nature. I would suppose agnostic theist most closely describes my sentiments on the subject.

Malthus

Quote from: Slargos on October 04, 2011, 04:00:09 PM
My hatred of the muslims is not rooted in Islam as such, but rather the arab culture of violence and tribalism. Syrian christians aren't much different from muslims in how they behave, so religion is obviously only a small part of it.

I am nominally christian, being that I am raised in a scandie-lutheran cultural tradition and still haven't actually left the swedish state church which every Swede at least used to be automatically joined to.

While I am definitely religious in a sense, I hold no illusion about being able to definitely say that there is only one god, or that I have any idea about its nature. I would suppose agnostic theist most closely describes my sentiments on the subject.

I agree, Slargos is not one of the four kinds of idiots.

He's a fifth kind.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Slargos

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2011, 04:02:34 PM

Can't argue with that.

I've been a 1%er all my life.  :sleep:

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2011, 04:02:34 PM

Then we need a 6th kind, the "Can't we just get along" guy who thinks he is like Nelson Mandela but really is like Rodney King.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 04:39:51 PM
Then we need a 6th kind, the "Can't we just get along" guy who thinks he is like Nelson Mandela but really is like Rodney King.

We have never had and will will never have a "Cant we all just get along" type on Languish.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 04, 2011, 04:50:18 PM

We have never had and will will never have a "Cant we all just get along" type on Languish.

:lol: I was thinking the same.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2011, 06:03:52 PM

I'd say both of you fall into that category since your basic stand on discussion of religion here is that we shouldn't say nasty true things about other people religions since that is not nice and we should just let people have their own silly fairy tales.

I find that really strange since you could just ignore the thread and let those of use who want to be nasty about other people religious positions get on with it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on October 04, 2011, 06:09:13 PM
I'd say both of you fall into that category since your basic stand on discussion of religion here is that we shouldn't say nasty true things about other people religions since that is not nice and we should just let people have their own silly fairy tales.

I find that really strange since you could just ignore the thread and let those of use who want to be nasty about other people religious positions get on with it.

Nah, I never have any trouble saying nasty things to you.  :D

But seriously - I just poke fun of stupidity where I find it. There aren't many, or indeed any, particularly stupid people posting religious dribble here, since Mishka left.

Ideologue

Quote from: Malthus on October 04, 2011, 06:03:52 PM

Jacob.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)