1 billion $ spending cuts proposed for Canadian army

Started by viper37, October 03, 2011, 11:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 07, 2011, 03:21:47 PM
The last few pages were annoying.   <_<

Anyway - when Canada disengages from Libya and Afghanistan, I suspect there will be increased emphasis on the "long term" spending, which will almost certainly include naval and air assets for the far north - Canada's on her own insofar as the US is not supporting Canada's claim to the region and thus Canada will have to have the capacity to patrol the area and enforce the claims - again, long term stuff but necessary if those claims are going to be taken seriously...

Indeed.  Currently the Navy is considering bids worth billions of dollars to build combat and support ships for a variety of potential missions included defending our territory and coastline in the north.

AnchorClanker

Yeah, it's gotta happen if those claims are to mean anything.  Good investment, though.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 02:45:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 02:38:55 PM

I see you are diving right into the ad hom fray yourself. Classy as always Raz.

However, I am honest about it.

Being honest about lacking objectivity or ability to think outside your worldview doesn't really make it better. If anything, it makes it worse. Hell, most people don't even really realize that they don't really look at issues objectively. Knowing that you do not and being ok with it is pretty screwed up.

Yeah, see you are confusing your opinion with an objective truth.  I am under no such illusion.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: AnchorClanker on October 07, 2011, 03:27:25 PM
Yeah, it's gotta happen if those claims are to mean anything.

Agreed.  We cant have Russians prowling around planting flags. 

Berkut

Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 03:29:41 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 02:45:37 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on October 07, 2011, 02:40:08 PM
Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 02:38:55 PM

I see you are diving right into the ad hom fray yourself. Classy as always Raz.

However, I am honest about it.

Being honest about lacking objectivity or ability to think outside your worldview doesn't really make it better. If anything, it makes it worse. Hell, most people don't even really realize that they don't really look at issues objectively. Knowing that you do not and being ok with it is pretty screwed up.

Yeah, see you are confusing your opinion with an objective truth.  I am under no such illusion.

That is not what we are talking about - we are talking about the ability to look at an issue objectively, rather than through the prism of your group.

This has nothing to do with confusing opinion and "truth".
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
The last few pages were annoying.   <_<

Anyway - when Canada disengages from Libya and Afghanistan, I suspect there will be increased emphasis on the "long term" spending, which will almost certainly include naval and air assets for the far north - Canada's on her own insofar as the US is not supporting Canada's claim to the region and thus Canada will have to have the capacity to patrol the area and enforce the claims - again, long term stuff but necessary if those claims are going to be taken seriously...

Indeed.  Currently the Navy is considering bids worth billions of dollars to build combat and support ships for a variety of potential missions included defending our territory and coastline in the north.

How many F-35s is Canada still planning on getting?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Razgovory

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 03:45:40 PM

That is not what we are talking about - we are talking about the ability to look at an issue objectively, rather than through the prism of your group.

This has nothing to do with confusing opinion and "truth".

Run this one by me again.  The first and second sentences make sense on their own, but together I'm confused.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on October 07, 2011, 03:46:13 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
The last few pages were annoying.   <_<

Not sure.  The initial deal was for 65 but the cost per plane seems less certain now as does the deal.

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 06, 2011, 10:36:49 AM

Also, I guess the Japanese never conquered the Philippines either.

Nope.  They occupied the Philippines, but since we kicked 'em out instead giving up, it wasn't a conquest.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2011, 01:28:46 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 07, 2011, 01:27:28 PM
Beeb, why do you not call CC on his obvious shenanigans, yet proclaim Berkut is trolling?

I guess it could be that you expect more out of Berkut, which is certainly understandable.

*sniffs*

Nah, I don't care for this bait.  Have anything else?

I could go dig up some nightcrawlers...

Viking

Quote from: dps on October 07, 2011, 09:15:41 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on October 06, 2011, 10:36:49 AM

Also, I guess the Japanese never conquered the Philippines either.

Nope.  They occupied the Philippines, but since we kicked 'em out instead giving up, it wasn't a conquest.

They first conquered then occupied the Philippines.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

depends if the price is 138 million$ or 400 million$.  Estimates seem to vary, and nobody gives a clear answer.
However, there's no contract now, and none will be signed before 2013.  Lots of things can change.
As CC pointed, the original deal was for 65 aircraft.  It's still supposed to be that, but we'll have to wait for the final price.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Brazen

MacKay confirmed they're still buying 65 at the end of September.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Neil on October 07, 2011, 02:19:02 PM
I dunno, those things always sound better with two words.  Now, my vocabulary of mild derogatory terms consists of only three words:  'liar', 'coward' and 'homo'.  I didn't think that I could get 'homo' to stick, but the other two are pretty vague and easy to throw around, and I wanted to get in on the spirit of the thread.

Call him a fucking goof.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?