When the Ottoman flag flew over part of Britain ...

Started by Syt, September 30, 2011, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 04:26:35 PM
Quote from: Iormlund on September 30, 2011, 04:04:55 PM

I'm not quite sure how a discussing of the origins of El Cid prompted that one, but ...

A spaceship is a Nave espacial which I suppose has the same root as Navy. A fleet would be a flota and the service is actually called the Armada. So it would be the Armada Espacial, although I can't see way Marina Espacial wouldn't work. After all names can be quite silly. Nueva Cartagena for example means New-new-new-city.

I do kind of wonder why Siege asked that question.

Keep wondering.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

I have also read somewhere that piracy wasn't as profitable as most people believe.
A few made it big, and their legends motivated new unemployed seamen to go pirate.
But it seems the average pirate lived in a half starving boat running away from bigger fish trying to score on a cargo boat that likely was loaded with sugar instead of gold.

To me the luckiest pirate, and I am not sure how much of a legend this is, was a french pirate called "Florentino", who in 1525? was off the coast of spain and happened to intercept an spanish galleon loaded with Cortez' aztec treasure for the spanish crown. Florentino disappeared after that and never again was heard from him.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Legbiter

Quote from: Syt on September 30, 2011, 11:11:25 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy_Island#Piracy

QuoteIn 1627 Barbary Pirates from the Republic of Salé occupied Lundy for five years. The North African invaders, under the command of Dutch renegade Jan Janszoon, flew an Ottoman flag over the island. Some captured Europeans were held on Lundy before being sent to Algiers as slaves.

That's the same Dutch Islamoid who led a major slaving raid on Iceland in roughly the same period. Only a few managed to get ransomed back.  :nerd:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on September 30, 2011, 07:38:30 PM

That's the same Dutch Islamoid who led a major slaving raid on Iceland in roughly the same period. Only a few managed to get ransomed back.  :nerd:

I guess the Dutch really meant it when they said "Better Turkish then Papist".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on September 30, 2011, 06:30:29 PM
I have also read somewhere that piracy wasn't as profitable as most people believe.
A few made it big, and their legends motivated new unemployed seamen to go pirate.
But it seems the average pirate lived in a half starving boat running away from bigger fish trying to score on a cargo boat that likely was loaded with sugar instead of gold.

To me the luckiest pirate, and I am not sure how much of a legend this is, was a french pirate called "Florentino", who in 1525? was off the coast of spain and happened to intercept an spanish galleon loaded with Cortez' aztec treasure for the spanish crown. Florentino disappeared after that and never again was heard from him.

That means he drowned.  The most successful pirate was probably Barbarossa.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Habbaku

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 07:56:53 PM
That means he drowned.  The most successful pirate was probably Barbarossa.

He drowned, too.   :homestar:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

AnchorClanker

If we blur the pirate/privateer tag - it would be Henry Morgan.  :contract:  Lt. Gov. of Jamaica and filthy rich.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

The Brain

The best they could hope for was King's Advisor. :(
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 01:49:09 PM
European peasant could also rise fairly high though most did not.  On the other hand, most Mameluke probably spent their lives as common soldiers.

You are talking completely out of your ass. Mamelukes rose to be Sultans. No peasant could hope to be a European monarch.

Viking

Quote from: Sahib on September 30, 2011, 12:04:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 11:54:31 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 30, 2011, 11:51:36 AM
According to wiki 10-18m African slaves through the Arab slave trade over a period of 1,250 years plus 1-1.25m European slaves.

10.25m arrived in the new world through the Atlantic slave trade with several million dying en route. This was over a 300 year period.

The Euros labor needs were a little higher :P

I am curious about the low number of Euro slaves.  I thought the Crimean Tatars nabbed so many Slavs that our word for Slave comes from them.  But maybe that 1 million or so happened in a small time period?

Or do the Turks not count as part of the Arab slave trade?

I think Slave/Slav thing comes from early middle ages, when Tatars were still in Mongolia.

Yes, Slave is a norse loanword from to english, due to the ethnicity of the slaves the norsemen sold on english slave markets in the 9th, 10th and 11th centuries. English, Irish and Scottish slaves went the other way.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2011, 06:17:16 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 30, 2011, 01:49:09 PM
European peasant could also rise fairly high though most did not.  On the other hand, most Mameluke probably spent their lives as common soldiers.

You are talking completely out of your ass. Mamelukes rose to be Sultans. No peasant could hope to be a European monarch.

Well, non-nobles were occasionally elected Pope.  A Crowned head of state.

AnchorClanker

Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2011, 03:01:38 AM
The best they could hope for was King's Advisor. :(

Man, I loved that game.  Still have it and all the other C-128 games.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Martinus

Quote from: Viking on October 01, 2011, 08:01:31 AM
Quote from: Sahib on September 30, 2011, 12:04:39 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 11:54:31 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 30, 2011, 11:51:36 AM
According to wiki 10-18m African slaves through the Arab slave trade over a period of 1,250 years plus 1-1.25m European slaves.

10.25m arrived in the new world through the Atlantic slave trade with several million dying en route. This was over a 300 year period.

The Euros labor needs were a little higher :P

I am curious about the low number of Euro slaves.  I thought the Crimean Tatars nabbed so many Slavs that our word for Slave comes from them.  But maybe that 1 million or so happened in a small time period?

Or do the Turks not count as part of the Arab slave trade?

I think Slave/Slav thing comes from early middle ages, when Tatars were still in Mongolia.

Yes, Slave is a norse loanword from to english, due to the ethnicity of the slaves the norsemen sold on english slave markets in the 9th, 10th and 11th centuries. English, Irish and Scottish slaves went the other way.

Uhm no. It came from Latin via French.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on October 01, 2011, 02:59:16 PM
Quote from: Viking on October 01, 2011, 08:01:31 AMYes, Slave is a norse loanword from to english, due to the ethnicity of the slaves the norsemen sold on english slave markets in the 9th, 10th and 11th centuries. English, Irish and Scottish slaves went the other way.

Uhm no. It came from Latin via French.
According to the OED you're both right.  It exists in Medieval Latin, Old French, Norse languages, Low German, West and North Frisian and others including Provencal, Spanish and Italian.  The first uses in English documents are clearly Medieval Latin which, in turn descends from the Greek word for Slavs (Σκλάβος).  So it's a Latin-French-Greek-German-Norse word that reinforced its way by sheer repetition into English :)
Let's bomb Russia!