When the Ottoman flag flew over part of Britain ...

Started by Syt, September 30, 2011, 11:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lundy_Island#Piracy

QuotePiracy

But the island was hard to govern. Over the next few centuries, trouble followed as both English and foreign pirates and privateers – including other members of the Marisco family – took control of the island for short periods. Ships were forced to navigate close to Lundy because of the dangerous shingle banks in the fast flowing River Severn and Bristol Channel, with its 32 feet (10 m) tide, the second highest in the world.[19][20] This made the island a profitable location from which to prey on passing Bristol-bound merchant ships bringing back valuable goods from overseas.[21]

In 1627 Barbary Pirates from the Republic of Salé occupied Lundy for five years. The North African invaders, under the command of Dutch renegade Jan Janszoon, flew an Ottoman flag over the island. Some captured Europeans were held on Lundy before being sent to Algiers as slaves.[22][23][24] From 1628 to 1634 the island was plagued by pirate ships of French, Basque, English, and Spanish origin. These incursions were eventually ended by Sir John Pennington, but in the 1660s and as late as the 1700s the island still fell prey to French privateers.[25]

:osama: :pirate

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Slargos

The sand-nigger slavetrade dwarfs the european. For some reason people tend to overlook it. I wonder why?  :hmm:

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on September 30, 2011, 11:20:12 AM
The sand-nigger slavetrade dwarfs the european. For some reason people tend to overlook it. I wonder why?  :hmm:

I'm calling bullshit.  There are something like thirty million people in the U.S. alone with over half their genes traceable to slaves.

I mean, if you're counting shit like the Janissaries, then I'm counting Spartacus. :hmm:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2011, 11:34:21 AM
I'm calling bullshit.  There are something like thirty million people in the U.S. alone with over half their genes traceable to slaves.

I mean, if you're counting shit like the Janissaries, then I'm counting Spartacus. :hmm:

Huh?  The Janissaries were not part of the slave trade.  They were collected as tribute.  You are aware the Arabs did indeed create the African slave trade right?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Neil

What does your statement have to do with his?  What does genetics have to do with the slave trade?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Gups

According to wiki 10-18m African slaves through the Arab slave trade over a period of 1,250 years plus 1-1.25m European slaves.

10.25m arrived in the new world through the Atlantic slave trade with several million dying en route. This was over a 300 year period.

Valmy

Quote from: Gups on September 30, 2011, 11:51:36 AM
According to wiki 10-18m African slaves through the Arab slave trade over a period of 1,250 years plus 1-1.25m European slaves.

10.25m arrived in the new world through the Atlantic slave trade with several million dying en route. This was over a 300 year period.

The Euros labor needs were a little higher :P

I am curious about the low number of Euro slaves.  I thought the Crimean Tatars nabbed so many Slavs that our word for Slave comes from them.  But maybe that 1 million or so happened in a small time period?

Or do the Turks not count as part of the Arab slave trade?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Habbaku on September 30, 2011, 11:56:21 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 11:54:31 AM

:hmm:

Well the Turks were victims of and then practitioners in said trade so acting like they are separate is a little odd.

Syt

Yeah, well, in the 16th/17th century everyone in the Med was enslaving whoever they could get away with. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Quote from: Neil on September 30, 2011, 11:39:47 AM
What does your statement have to do with his?  What does genetics have to do with the slave trade?

The present-day large black population indicates that there was a large population of slaves in the past.  I suppose I could have just said "there were millions of transportees and millions more born in the Americas as slaves."  Since these figures are known, I suppose inferring from present population isn't necessary.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 11:38:19 AM

Huh?  The Janissaries were not part of the slave trade.  They were collected as tribute.  You are aware the Arabs did indeed create the African slave trade right?

Still slaves.  I am aware of an East African slave trade.
Kinemalogue

Sahib

Quote from: Valmy on September 30, 2011, 11:54:31 AM

The Euros labor needs were a little higher :P

I am curious about the low number of Euro slaves.  I thought the Crimean Tatars nabbed so many Slavs that our word for Slave comes from them.  But maybe that 1 million or so happened in a small time period?

I think Slave/Slav thing comes from early middle ages, when Tatars were still in Mongolia.
Stonewall=Worst Mod ever

Habbaku

I'm not sure this is much a dig on European culture.  So, we proved better at acquiring slaves and ended the trade in a much shorter time-period than a different people who we then beat the shit out of to make them stop slave-trading?  Sounds good to me.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 30, 2011, 12:04:22 PM
Still slaves.  I am aware of an East African slave trade.

Sure they were technically slaves but they were never bought or sold as a commodity so do not count in the Slave Trade.