News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Almost here!!

Started by 11B4V, September 28, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Does elk taste different to normal deer?

Barrister

Quote from: Gups on September 29, 2011, 11:40:32 AM

Yes.

But I'm not a big fan of venison - been quite gamey from what I've had.  Mind you that's been hunted venison, not farmed.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

I can hunt quail every day in my back yard. Usually I just give 'em a blast with an air rifle so they'll run away and stop eating my grass seed. It makes the feathers fly a lot. I can headshot them and they'll die, but I'm too lazy to pluck the feathers and cook 'em.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 11:43:41 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 29, 2011, 11:40:32 AM

Yes.

But I'm not a big fan of venison - been quite gamey from what I've had.  Mind you that's been hunted venison, not farmed.
Yea, same here. It may have something to do with why I can't stand the smell/taste(or texture) of raw meat. Too much butchering as a kid. That smell is associated with shit and viscera which can smell many times worse, and I've never had a strong stomach.

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 29, 2011, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2011, 07:25:11 AM
I do not hunt, but I'm actually very supportive of those that do.  Seems like a worthy hobby and anything that thins out the goddamn deer is a good thing.  According to the Department of Conservation 150 thousand deer are harvested annually in Missouri.  That's a fucking lot.  Also hunters are what make the Department of Conservation what it is, and I like the other services they provide such as nature reserves and the like.  I've had deer burgers a few times, they are tasty. :)

How many can a single hunter take in a season?

No idea.  I think it depends on how you hunt them.  I think you can take more with a bow and arrow then you can with a rifle.  Perhaps more if you chase it down and kill it with a rock.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

The type of hunting I don't have a lot of respect for is duck hunting (maybe geese hunting is similar).  Lie in a hidey hole, make them come to you with calls and decoys, then blast the shit out of them when they're close enough.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2011, 12:52:39 PM
The type of hunting I don't have a lot of respect for is duck hunting (maybe geese hunting is similar).  Lie in a hidey hole, make them come to you with calls and decoys, then blast the shit out of them when they're close enough.

How is that different from any other kind of hunting?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:59:39 PM

Other kinds you have to sneak up on them, then get in a shot before they smell your manstench or hear your clumsy mannoise and run away.

Jacob

You wouldn't like the way my buddy's native friend hunted deer then. He put a few salt licks on his property. Then he'd sit in a rocking chair on his porch with his gun and shoot them when ever he felt like it.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2011, 01:08:52 PM
You wouldn't like the way my buddy's native friend hunted deer then. He put a few salt licks on his property. Then he'd sit in a rocking chair on his porch with his gun and shoot them when ever he felt like it.

I should have specified I'm not impressed with the guys who sit in trees either.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2011, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2011, 01:08:52 PM

I should have specified I'm not impressed with the guys who sit in trees either.

I just figured it's one step further down your scale when you can step out of your living room in your skivvies, with a cigarette and cup of coffee to pick off the quarry.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2011, 01:13:41 PM
I just figured it's one step further down your scale when you can step out of your living room in your skivvies, with a cigarette and cup of coffee to pick off the quarry.

Sure.  It's like if the baby seals waddled up to your EZ chair to get skulled.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2011, 01:01:39 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 12:59:39 PM

Other kinds you have to sneak up on them, then get in a shot before they smell your manstench or hear your clumsy mannoise and run away.

Most people around here don't hunt like that.  At least in Missouri.  Wandering around the Forrest with a rifle during hunting season seems like a good way to get shot.  Most of the people I know who go hunting use deer blinds the like.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

I'll confess that the hunters I know are moose hunters, not deer hunters.

But while their stories do involve travelling around (mostly on quads), they also use calls to try and bring the moose to them.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 01:32:55 PM
I'll confess that the hunters I know are moose hunters, not deer hunters.

But while their stories do involve travelling around (mostly on quads), they also use calls to try and bring the moose to them.

Yeah. You can't wait for a Moose to just come strolling. That would take forever.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.