News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Almost here!!

Started by 11B4V, September 28, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Two weeks to Deer season and a about a month til Elk season.

I know that probably bothers some of you sandle wearing tree hugging hippies.  :moon:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Scipio

The only thing that bothers me about this is that I live in an Elk-free land, except those racist fuckers over in Petal with the funny hats.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

11B4V

Quote from: Scipio on September 28, 2011, 07:47:44 PM
The only thing that bothers me about this is that I live in an Elk-free land, except those racist fuckers over in Petal with the funny hats.

I read about 10 years ago they were trying to reestablish a elk heard in the NE. I kind of lost track of it over the years.

http://ncsparks.com/pennsylvania/elk.php

SE here

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/elk.htm

Slow cook Elk Roast in a crockpot. Eat with some Horseradish. Isnt anything better
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Neil

The only people who don't favour deer hunting are foreign assholes.  Those things are like rats, and a hazard to transport due to their numbers and lack of predators.

The lives of some deer are worth less than the lives of the humans that they critically endanger.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

HisMajestyBOB

I saw some deer near the park while jogging a few days ago. :)
A doe and a smaller one, possibly its fawn.

Also, it saddens me that venison isn't allowed to be sold in stores around here. I want to eat it, but I'm not a good enough shot to go hunting (nor can I afford it).
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on September 28, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

I know that probably bothers some of you sandle wearing tree hugging hippies.  :moon:

In Missouri it was the conservationists who brought deer back to state.  In the early '20's it was believed that Missouri only had a deer population of around 400.  Now they are everywhere.  I don't know if there are any elk in Missouri.  I haven't seen any, but that doesn't mean anything.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

We have an elk herd in Kentucky, and yes you can hunt them.  I think the hunting season is rather ridiculous though, like our bear season (which lasts two days, or one day if more than 5 bears or something like that are bagged on day 1).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 28, 2011, 08:31:57 PM
Also, it saddens me that venison isn't allowed to be sold in stores around here. I want to eat it, but I'm not a good enough shot to go hunting (nor can I afford it).
If prepared correctly, venison is delicious. :mmm:

I have deer in my yard fairly often.  I can't legally shoot at them though since I lack a centerfire rifle.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

I do not oppose good venison jerky on principle.

Barrister

I miss living in the Yukon, where I could occasionally score moose meat from friends.

On the other hand, I do have some ground elk meat sitting in my freezer purchased from the farmer's market. :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Caliga on September 28, 2011, 08:58:09 PM

I have deer in my yard fairly often.  I can't legally shoot at them though since I lack a centerfire rifle.

My dad has a Mosin-Nagant. I'm not sure if hunting with it is allowed or not...  :hmm:
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

11B4V

I have deer in my yard fairly often. 

Same here. Usually 6-7 at one time. I have three apple trees and they dig that. I could pop one of them as I live in a county area. But, I have made my property a "DMZ" so to speak. They are free to roam w/o getting assassinated.

11B4V

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 28, 2011, 10:22:24 PM

My dad has a Mosin-Nagant. I'm not sure if hunting with it is allowed or not...  :hmm:

Check local regs. Use a soft point bullet of course. I use/ have used my sporterized '03 Springfield 30-06 and a sporterized Kraig 30-40.

Last deer I shot was with a sporterized '96 Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55

PRC

I think the general vibe of the eco-warriors is that hunting for your own meat is a good thing as it's sustainable, it's not buying factory farmed meat from a mega-store, etc.  PETA will be up in arms against it of course, but generally speaking i think most of the hippies are for it.

Jacob

I don't think there are many hippies on languish.