News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Almost here!!

Started by 11B4V, September 28, 2011, 07:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2011, 12:52:39 PM
The type of hunting I don't have a lot of respect for is duck hunting (maybe geese hunting is similar).  Lie in a hidey hole, make them come to you with calls and decoys, then blast the shit out of them when they're close enough.
Ducks and geese are pretty smart. If they see you, even at a distance, they won't fly near. Same with any wild game really, you have to use ways to hide, or outsmart them. For deer hunting, one of the most effective ways is mornings and evenings when they're moving to feeding sites. Stand near a known deer trail, keeping hidden and perfectly still (else they will see you before you see them, as they notice movement very well, even with weaker eyes.) Wild turkeys are one of the smarter birds from what I've heard. Hunters are in camoflage outfits to blend in, so as not to spook the birds.

PRC

Bow hunting is where it's at!

KRonn

Quote from: PRC on September 29, 2011, 02:18:42 PM
Never hunted with a bow. But hey, the easiest hunting is at the local grocer, not much effort involved!    :)

Legbiter

I have some reindeer in the freezer. I keep it next to the minke whale.  :mmm:
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Malthus

Quote from: Legbiter on September 29, 2011, 02:59:05 PM

I thought you guys just buried whale in the sand until it was rotten enough to eat. Or was that fish.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: KRonn on September 29, 2011, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: PRC on September 29, 2011, 02:18:42 PM
Never hunted with a bow. But hey, the easiest hunting is at the local grocer, not much effort involved!    :)

I think the local grocer would disapprove, and probably so would the police.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Quote from: Malthus on September 29, 2011, 03:42:42 PM
Quote from: Legbiter on September 29, 2011, 02:59:05 PM

I thought you guys just buried whale in the sand until it was rotten enough to eat. Or was that fish.  ;)

That's hákarl, fermented shark. An aquired taste to some.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xhfJRdwHnU

Razgovory

The Inuit won't even eat that.  And they live in houses made of snow.  They do feed it to their dogs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Legbiter

Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2011, 04:10:01 PM
The Inuit won't even eat that.  And they live in houses made of snow.  They do feed it to their dogs.

Well, the greenland shark's flesh is a bit lethal when fresh so you have to let it ferment quite a while but after 8-9 months it's quite ready for human consumption. Packs quite a punch in vitamin D and omega 3's.

And some Inuit have an even worse delicacy, fermented seabird.  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: Legbiter on September 29, 2011, 04:20:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 29, 2011, 04:10:01 PM

Well, the greenland shark's flesh is a bit lethal when fresh so you have to let it ferment quite a while but after 8-9 months it's quite ready for human consumption. Packs quite a punch in vitamin D and omega 3's.

And some Inuit have an even worse delicacy, fermented seabird.  :hmm:

Yeah, the Inuit prepare it in a similar way to the Icelanders, but they still won't eat it.  They do eat squished auks, but I don't think they are as bad.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Iceland was in a malthusian crisis several times in the past millenium, especially in the 17th century IIRC; a taste for pickled albatross, rotting shark or whatever is better than the alternative.

AnchorClanker

"Can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em" is a sound principle.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 29, 2011, 01:11:59 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2011, 01:08:52 PM
You wouldn't like the way my buddy's native friend hunted deer then. He put a few salt licks on his property. Then he'd sit in a rocking chair on his porch with his gun and shoot them when ever he felt like it.

I should have specified I'm not impressed with the guys who sit in trees either.

Big in the South do to vegetation. It's more a matter of nessessity. I never liked it much cause I always fell asleep.  When I hunted in the south, I usually walked a little then sat and watched an area then walked a little. Wash, Rinse and repeat. Last Deer I shot in georgia ('99) was from 30 meters.

Here in western washington esp where I hunt Deer in the Olympics in it thick as hell. I always wonder why they never adapted the southern style tree stand hunting here.

My Elk area is more open. I probably walked 30-35 miles over a few days the last time I went. Elk are fairly easy to track, but the weather was too nice and there was a full moon at nite that year.. I remember that year I was on a ridgeline on a crystal clear November morning. I could see Mt Rainer to the north and St. Hellens to the soth. Quite a sight really.

I always hope for the shittiest weather every year during elk season. The shittier the better.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2011, 01:08:52 PM
You wouldn't like the way my buddy's native friend hunted deer then. He put a few salt licks on his property. Then he'd sit in a rocking chair on his porch with his gun and shoot them when ever he felt like it.

Called baiting and is illegal in most states. Key word being native, I would assume mean "American Indian"?? Lazy POS, probably doing it on the Res.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

[quote author=11B4V link=topic=6059.msg319135#msg319135 Called baiting and is illegal in most states. Key word being native, I would assume mean "American Indian"?? Lazy POS, probably doing it on the Res.[/quote]

Yeah it's illegal here too, and yeah that's what I mean by "Native".