Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Started by Caliga, September 27, 2011, 06:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Yes, and I did
6 (14.6%)
Yes, but I didn't
2 (4.9%)
Yes - never been in that situation myself
3 (7.3%)
No, but I did anyway
3 (7.3%)
No, and I didn't
12 (29.3%)
No - never been in that situation myself
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 04:44:16 PM
Lord, it looks like someone vomited on it.  :lol:
That's SAWMILL GRAVY, bitch!  Goddamn foreigners. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

Quote from: Razgovory on September 27, 2011, 12:40:54 PM
If you want a dowry.

Dowry is paid by the groom's father to the bride's father.
You westernessers got it wrong.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

AnchorClanker

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 04:32:30 PM
Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 27, 2011, 04:14:52 PM
I'd say it depends on the 'family culture' - you're going to have to gauge what would be appropriate and go with it.
There's not an absolutely correct answer on this one.

Next you are going to say its ok to fry a steak in some circumstances.

Yep.  I have no dog in that race.  I'm not into 'converting' people to my way of life.   ;) :lol:
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

AnchorClanker

Quote from: Siege on September 27, 2011, 06:28:14 PM
If you want a dowry.

*sigh*  Dowry is so Bronze Age.  Womenfolk are not an addition to the tribal livestock holdings anymore.  Get over it.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

Ed Anger

Women are good for fixin' sammichs and shooting babies out their baby cannons. That is it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

If you want a dowry.

I think that's the bride price.  Dowry is where you get some cows from the brides family to set up shop.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 27, 2011, 05:05:19 PM
What the hell is that!

What I want to know is - what the hell is the difference between a "chicken fried steak" and a weiner schnitzel???
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

No.  I didn't ask for permission and I didn't make any effort to earn their acceptance.  I am still very surprised that her parents seemed to have accepted me before we even met, and we've been on more than good terms ever since our first encounter.  I consider this a mystery that I still don't have the slightest clue about.

Razgovory

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 27, 2011, 07:41:05 PM

*sigh*  Dowry is so Bronze Age.  Womenfolk are not an addition to the tribal livestock holdings anymore.  Get over it.

I think it often decided the fate of nations in early modern Europe.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

If you want a dowry.

Pretty sure the standard in Central Asia is for the Bride's Father to pay the Groom's.

It works differently in different places.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

Depends on her family. If she's from a more tradition-minded east Asian family, then I may tell her parents in the form of a question.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 27, 2011, 11:12:12 PM
If you want a dowry.

Pretty sure the standard in Central Asia is for the Bride's Father to pay the Groom's.

It works differently in different places.

Dowry is where the wife's family pays, Bride price is where the husband or his family pays.