Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Started by Caliga, September 27, 2011, 06:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Yes, and I did
6 (14.6%)
Yes, but I didn't
2 (4.9%)
Yes - never been in that situation myself
3 (7.3%)
No, but I did anyway
3 (7.3%)
No, and I didn't
12 (29.3%)
No - never been in that situation myself
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2011, 07:58:52 AM
Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2011, 07:55:55 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2011, 07:53:44 AM
I fully agree with Caliga. There is nothing respectful or polite about it - it sounds awfully anachronistic and retarded. She should be the one telling her parents that - going "behind her back" and asking is extremely rude and patronizing, imo. In normal case, you do not have a "relationship" with your future wife's parents before you get married anyway (or even if you do, this relationship is nowhere near as strong as her relationship with her parents or your relationship with her) so you should not presume upon it. It's mindboggling that so many people who posted above me find this not only acceptable, but even desirable.

Well usually by the time you propose she is expecting you to do it any moment now, and likewise my mother-in-law knew it was coming.  If you are "going behind her back" to do it...well that is just creepy.

Well, yeah, if you have a good relationship like that, sure. But then I would find it creepy too, only in a different way. Very yenta-ish, arranged marriage style.
Yenta?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2011, 06:43:14 AM
I could swear you've already asked this question before.

I think it's a nice gesture to ask for their "blessing" but not necessarily permission.
Now that you mention it, I dimly recall a thread like this one in the past... but unsure why I'd start one, since I got engaged in 1998 and this would be my brother's first engagement.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 27, 2011, 06:43:14 AM
I could swear you've already asked this question before.

I think it's a nice gesture to ask for their "blessing" but not necessarily permission.

Yep, which is exactly why I did it.  My wife's dad appreciated the gesture. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2011, 08:56:03 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 08:48:52 AM
It's not that the tradition/ritual is "meaningless", it is that the tradition/ritual is mostly "dead". To the point where, in many cases, performing it will make you look like some sort of throwback.

Well sure if you are equating it with paying a bride price or dowry or some shit like that.  But generally letting the bride's parents know your intentions may just be a good idea depending on the circumstances.  Sometimes it may indeed by as ridiculous as handing over 10 cows and a particularly well carved spear.

I also asked for cows but no go.

MadImmortalMan

Didn't ask for "permission" out of principle, but did have a chat where I told them my intention.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Warspite

I see a lot of bitter single men posting in this thread, and not so many married people. :hmm:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on September 27, 2011, 07:53:44 AM
In normal case, you do not have a "relationship" with your future wife's parents before you get married anyway (or even if you do, this relationship is nowhere near as strong as her relationship with her parents or your relationship with her) so you should not presume upon it.

:huh:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

AnchorClanker

I'd say it depends on the 'family culture' - you're going to have to gauge what would be appropriate and go with it.
There's not an absolutely correct answer on this one.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

crazy canuck

Quote from: AnchorClanker on September 27, 2011, 04:14:52 PM
I'd say it depends on the 'family culture' - you're going to have to gauge what would be appropriate and go with it.
There's not an absolutely correct answer on this one.

Next you are going to say its ok to fry a steak in some circumstances.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ed Anger

You best keep your nasty comments about chicken fried steak to yourselves. heathens.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive