Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Started by Caliga, September 27, 2011, 06:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Yes, and I did
6 (14.6%)
Yes, but I didn't
2 (4.9%)
Yes - never been in that situation myself
3 (7.3%)
No, but I did anyway
3 (7.3%)
No, and I didn't
12 (29.3%)
No - never been in that situation myself
15 (36.6%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Malthus

Quote from: Barrister on September 27, 2011, 08:50:45 AM

Well as witnessed in this thread, it would seem like it is not mostly dead.

Question: Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Yes, and I did 0 (0%)

:hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Well, now I've voted, so there. :P

And Brazen and Valmy said that they had, and several others expressed the opinion that it was the classy thing to do.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 08:48:52 AM
It's not that the tradition/ritual is "meaningless", it is that the tradition/ritual is mostly "dead". To the point where, in many cases, performing it will make you look like some sort of throwback.

Well sure if you are equating it with paying a bride price or dowry or some shit like that.  But generally letting the bride's parents know your intentions may just be a good idea depending on the circumstances.  Sometimes it may indeed by as ridiculous as handing over 10 cows and a particularly well carved spear.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 08:52:10 AM
Question: Should a man ask for permission from his future bride's parents?

Yes, and I did 0 (0%)

:hmm:

Well the was like it was an obligation.  No it ain't.  It is like should you buy a diamond ring?  Well maybe not depending on the circumstances.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on September 27, 2011, 08:56:03 AM
Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 08:48:52 AM
It's not that the tradition/ritual is "meaningless", it is that the tradition/ritual is mostly "dead". To the point where, in many cases, performing it will make you look like some sort of throwback.

Well sure if you are equating it with paying a bride price or dowry or some shit like that.  But generally letting the bride's parents know your intentions may just be a good idea depending on the circumstances.  Sometimes it may indeed by as ridiculous as handing over 10 cows and a particularly well carved spear.

These days, marriage soon after meeting is not the norm. Generally, people go out for a long time before they bother to tie the knot, often living together and stuff - so it hardly comes as a big surprise to the parents.

"Asking permission" when you've been happily living together and presumably fucking for months or even years is just odd. Maybe it's different if she's really young and living with her parents and such.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 09:04:01 AM
These days, marriage soon after meeting is not the norm. Generally, people go out for a long time before they bother to tie the knot, often living together and stuff - so it hardly comes as a big surprise to the parents.

"Asking permission" when you've been happily living together and presumably fucking for months or even years is just odd. Maybe it's different if she's really young and living with her parents and such.

Ok I guess I am just odd.  Strangely nobody thought it was odd.  But my plan on how I was going to propose needed her participation.  Also 'asking permission' is a social gesture not a signing of a bride contract for godsake.

Ed Anger

What is fun is talking to her parents the day after you spent the night in her old room. lololol

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2011, 09:07:36 AM
What is fun is talking to her parents the day after you spent the night in her old room. lololol

More fun - bumping into her dad on the way to the can in the middle of the night.  :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: Malthus on September 27, 2011, 09:09:37 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 27, 2011, 09:07:36 AM

More fun - bumping into her dad on the way to the can in the middle of the night.  :D

With an erection.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Just like the last time we talked about this the answer is "no". Unless he wants to come across as a weirdo.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Not planning on "asking," but I am going to give FFIL a heads-up right before I pop the question.  They know it's coming anyway, so it's really just more a question of when we've got enough of our shit together to go ahead with wedding plans.
Experience bij!

Jacob

I guess it's alright if you do, no skin off my back.

For my part, I hadn't met my future in-laws or even spoken to them before I married their daughter.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Jacob on September 27, 2011, 10:41:22 AM
I guess it's alright if you do, no skin off my back.

For my part, I hadn't met my future in-laws or even spoken to them before I married their daughter.

:lol: I can't exactly feign ignorance there, though, since we've all been pretty tight for almost 8 years now.
Experience bij!

The Brain

If a guy gives a Languisher permission to marry his daughter please give me his phone number. I'm gonna ask for some money since he's obviously doped up or dying or something.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.