News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should verbal bullying be a criminal offense?

Started by Martinus, September 23, 2011, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should verbal bullying be a criminal offense?

Yes, and the perps should be responsible for consequences (so if someone commits suicide, charge them with murder)
2 (6.9%)
Yes, but it should be a separate offense, likely a misdemeanor
5 (17.2%)
No. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.
22 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Neil

Under Polish law, you're also allowed to steal whatever you want, as long as the victim is Jewish.  Let's not get hung up on using Polish law as an example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

szmik

Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 10:27:43 AM
Under Polish law, you're also allowed to steal whatever you want, as long as the victim is Jewish.  Let's not get hung up on using Polish law as an example.
quite the opposite in fact. If you're Jewish you just call all accusing you antisemitic and get away with it.  <_<
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Martinus

Quote from: szmik on September 24, 2011, 03:08:57 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 24, 2011, 10:27:43 AM
quite the opposite in fact. If you're Jewish you just call all accusing you antisemitic and get away with it.  <_<

:bleeding:

Scipio

To answer Beeb's question, bullying is obviously different than assault by threat, because that's an already existing crime.  Expressio unius exclusio alterius, and all that.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 10:25:20 AM
I thought the eggshell skull rule was the opposite - i.e. you are not responsible for the victim acting in an abnormally sensitive manner. But you may be right under common law. Under Polish law, one is only liable for normal, reasonable consequences of one's actions.

No, it's the rare occasion where banana is right about the law.  The thin skull rule (no idea why you'd stick the word eggshell in there) means you take your victim as you find them.  If you hit someone once, and not really that hard, but they fall over, crack their skull and die, you're guilty of manslaughter.

Now there is also some case law regarding the "crumbling skull" - which is someone who already had a pre-existing condition that would have deteriorated anyways.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2011, 03:43:07 PM
I thought the eggshell skull rule was the opposite - i.e. you are not responsible for the victim acting in an abnormally sensitive manner. But you may be right under common law. Under Polish law, one is only liable for normal, reasonable consequences of one's actions.

No, it's the rare occasion where banana is right about the law.  The thin skull rule (no idea why you'd stick the word eggshell in there) means you take your victim as you find them.  If you hit someone once, and not really that hard, but they fall over, crack their skull and die, you're guilty of manslaughter.

Now there is also some case law regarding the "crumbling skull" - which is someone who already had a pre-existing condition that would have deteriorated anyways.

Psst I'm Ideologue and I'm always right, on non-proximity fuze related questions. :secret:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2011, 01:21:00 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2011, 01:15:36 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2011, 01:07:21 AM
Wouldn't everyone on Languish be guilty?

Not me.  I'm nice.
And fond of accusing others of racism.

GUILTY

Stop being racist and worshiping racists and I'll stop accusing you of racism, you bigot.
Kinemalogue

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2011, 07:31:47 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2011, 03:43:07 PM

Psst I'm Ideologue and I'm always right, on non-proximity fuze related questions. :secret:
:lol: BURN

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2011, 01:28:14 AM

Not me.  I'm nice.

GUILTY

Stop being racist and worshiping racists and I'll stop accusing you of racism, you bigot.
That covers almost everyone from before 1950. One can admire a person for his deeds, while not admiring some of his beliefs.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 25, 2011, 02:15:43 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2011, 01:28:14 AM

Not me.  I'm nice.

GUILTY

That covers almost everyone from before 1950. One can admire a person for his deeds, while not admiring some of his beliefs.

You run a Kwantung Army rape camp, don't you?

Quote from: Mart:lol: BURN

On whom? :unsure:
Kinemalogue

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2011, 02:25:48 AM

You run a Kwantung Army rape camp, don't you?

They're called All Inclusive Resorts, thank you very much.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Kinemalogue