News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should verbal bullying be a criminal offense?

Started by Martinus, September 23, 2011, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should verbal bullying be a criminal offense?

Yes, and the perps should be responsible for consequences (so if someone commits suicide, charge them with murder)
2 (6.9%)
Yes, but it should be a separate offense, likely a misdemeanor
5 (17.2%)
No. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.
22 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Martinus

This is becoming a hot topic on various gay news sites, as kids are being charged (or there are calls to charge them) with murder for causing a suicide of a bullied gay kid. I wonder what's Languish's opinions are.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

I predict this thread will increase the amount of bullying on Languish.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Eddie Teach

I believe it already is in certain cases, such as making threats.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Bullying in school can be borderline harassment.  AFAIK, schools of all the world forbid behaviors that woudln't be criminal outside, and likely, verbal abuse is an offense in school and not in adult life.  So, it's a problem for schools to deal with, or suffer consequences.  Like a work place.  If one employee is constantly bullyed/harassed by another group and the employer does nothing, he can be held liable for the consequences.

Schools have to take their responsibilities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2011, 01:56:58 PM
For the record, I voted the option no. 3.

Well except that we already criminalize various types of speech.  Threats in particular, but in some circumstances criminal harassment also comprosies only speech.

But the trouble is - what actions constitute "bullying"?  How do you come up with a definition that is broad enough to catch the kinds of behaviour you want to stop, yet narrow enough to avoid criminalizing every mean thing said.

I have no idea.

I'd be in favour of the concept of outlawing bullying, but I suspect in practice it's almost unworkable.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on September 23, 2011, 02:21:28 PM
Bullying in school can be borderline harassment.  AFAIK, schools of all the world forbid behaviors that woudln't be criminal outside, and likely, verbal abuse is an offense in school and not in adult life.  So, it's a problem for schools to deal with, or suffer consequences.  Like a work place.  If one employee is constantly bullyed/harassed by another group and the employer does nothing, he can be held liable for the consequences.

Schools have to take their responsibilities.

I have no problem with that. I think the push now is for this to become a criminal offense, however, which I think crosses the line.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

Yes. To hold someone responsible for murder is mad but they should certainly take some of the blame.
██████
██████
██████

DontSayBanana

Why are we so concerned with coming up with a new category?  Harassment is still harassment when kids do it- hold them accountable when it's severe enough to cause injury/drive someone to suicide.  Otherwise, let kids be kids.  This "bullying law" nonsense smacks strongly of just forcing kids who may not even understand what they're doing to be held accountable for every mean comment.
Experience bij!

Martinus

Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 24, 2011, 07:36:01 AM
Why are we so concerned with coming up with a new category?  Harassment is still harassment when kids do it- hold them accountable when it's severe enough to cause injury/drive someone to suicide.  Otherwise, let kids be kids.  This "bullying law" nonsense smacks strongly of just forcing kids who may not even understand what they're doing to be held accountable for every mean comment.

I agree. However, do we really want to make it punishable if it "drives someone to suicide"? Isn't it a bit against the eggshell skull rule - I mean, chances are than in 99% of cases when someone commits suicide as a result of bullying, an average person wouldn't off himself or herself when subjected to the same type of bullying.

I think we are having with a new outbreak of moral panic.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ideologue

Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 09:05:53 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on September 24, 2011, 07:36:01 AM

I agree. However, do we really want to make it punishable if it "drives someone to suicide"? Isn't it a bit against the eggshell skull rule - I mean, chances are than in 99% of cases when someone commits suicide as a result of bullying, an average person wouldn't off himself or herself when subjected to the same type of bullying.

I think we are having with a new outbreak of moral panic.

That is the eggshell skull rule.  You take your victim as you find him.

You're describing an intervening cause, which in this case would obviously be the suicide's own volitional act of self-harm.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Martinus

I thought the eggshell skull rule was the opposite - i.e. you are not responsible for the victim acting in an abnormally sensitive manner. But you may be right under common law. Under Polish law, one is only liable for normal, reasonable consequences of one's actions.