News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should verbal bullying be a criminal offense?

Started by Martinus, September 23, 2011, 01:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should verbal bullying be a criminal offense?

Yes, and the perps should be responsible for consequences (so if someone commits suicide, charge them with murder)
2 (6.9%)
Yes, but it should be a separate offense, likely a misdemeanor
5 (17.2%)
No. Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me.
22 (75.9%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Barrister on September 24, 2011, 03:43:07 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 24, 2011, 10:25:20 AM
I thought the eggshell skull rule was the opposite - i.e. you are not responsible for the victim acting in an abnormally sensitive manner. But you may be right under common law. Under Polish law, one is only liable for normal, reasonable consequences of one's actions.

No, it's the rare occasion where banana is right about the law.  The thin skull rule (no idea why you'd stick the word eggshell in there) means you take your victim as you find them.  If you hit someone once, and not really that hard, but they fall over, crack their skull and die, you're guilty of manslaughter.

Now there is also some case law regarding the "crumbling skull" - which is someone who already had a pre-existing condition that would have deteriorated anyways.

"Eggshell skull" is common in US tort teaching, and the phrase has some traction with non-lawyers/law students in the US.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)