And we're back!

Main Menu

Magna Mundi - The Game

Started by ubik, September 22, 2011, 10:51:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: szmik on July 12, 2012, 02:02:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2012, 01:09:54 PM
Don't see why that shouldn't be the case. Looks like he effectively hoodwinked them / presumably all of that was in the contract that he signed...
so did Paradox pay for FTG development upfront too?  :hmm:

No. However there was an advance given once the gold master was accepted.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 01:32:50 PM
Don't see why that shouldn't be the case. Looks like he effectively hoodwinked them / presumably all of that was in the contract that he signed...

Oh I agree, it just makes the legal action look a little more reasonable on ubik's part.  Losing the game is bad enough, I can't imagine he has all that Paradox cash just lying around somewhere to return.

Though it would still likely make it impossible to find another publisher for the next big UV release.

I guess it depends on how much the paid in development. Unless it is something extreme, I wonder if ubik really has all the cash lying around to pay legal fees for a court trial. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

sbr

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2012, 02:06:06 PM
Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 01:32:50 PM

Oh I agree, it just makes the legal action look a little more reasonable on ubik's part.  Losing the game is bad enough, I can't imagine he has all that Paradox cash just lying around somewhere to return.

Though it would still likely make it impossible to find another publisher for the next big UV release.

I guess it depends on how much the paid in development. Unless it is something extreme, I wonder if ubik really has all the cash lying around to pay legal fees for a court trial. :D

Johan said they paid as much for the development of MM as they did for CKII.  That still doesn't get into hard numbers, but it doesn't sound insignificant.

garbon

Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 02:13:10 PM
Johan said they paid as much for the development of MM as they did for CKII.  That still doesn't get into hard numbers, but it doesn't sound insignificant.

I wonder if that really meant straight to UV...as in are they the ones what fronted enough money for Ubik to get an office?  And if that is the case, what in the world were they thinking? Why were they willing to front so much money to glorified modders before even having an alpha version?

sbr

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2012, 02:16:42 PM
Quote from: sbr on July 12, 2012, 02:13:10 PM

I wonder if that really meant straight to UV...as in are they the ones what fronted enough money for Ubik to get an office?  And if that is the case, what in the world were they thinking? Why were they willing to front so much money to glorified modders before even having an alpha version?

Yeah, I don't know.  It does sound really weird.  Maybe ubik is the ultimate salesman.

Maladict

Stay classy ubik  :lol:

Quote from: ubik

Who defined the overall concept of "plausibility" in these games?
Who tried first to place some semblance of reality in the game by devising the concept and implementation of event chains?
Who was the one who came with the concept and implementation of event pools, using the mean time to happen as heuristics to implement graphs in order to create never ending stories for the game with the script language?
Who was the one who took care of almost all the overall balance of the mod?
Who was the one who, as the developer of the parts in question, wrote more than 50% of the chapters in the manual of the mod?
Who was the one linking the creativity, dedication and extreme talent of all the participants into a single cohesive structure in the mod and in the game?
Who was the one who engaged the people of the forums and built a community from scratch?
Who was the one placing himself in the front line, getting hit and hitting back in the process with this community in a purposeful process of emotional engagement with everyone?

I am proud of this tall order. And I can claim it to be mine and mine only.

Now to be clear, I am 100% sure Magna Mundi would be much, much less if Lars did not implemented the most complex of all event pools ever created on a game (we have been checking it thoroughly a couple weeks ago and in fact its now a brilliant clockwork mechanism where several event pools are linked and synchronized together). The same justice must be done to David and his overarching religious pool.

After checking the scores of SRI and Dei Gratias when compared with Magna Mundi in the official pool Johan Andersson decided to create back in 2009), I am pretty sure that had I decided to release a mod with just my stuff, this mod of mine would also be crushed by the sheer momentum of Magna Mundi.

To sum it up and without taking the merit of the full range of participants, what Lars, David and myself achieved together was much more than the sum of each other parts.

What Paradox did in the end, through the way it "managed" the relation with the developer, was a process of turning a rabbid fan into a lukewarm supporter, then a skeptic and finally someone who feels deeply offended by the way he and his company were treated. Magna Mundi is now a detail on what needs to be covered. My name and the name of my company are much more important than any game.

You know what is the difference between a mule and a donkey?

Thanks to its stubbornness, a mule won't budge to fear, intimidation, coercion and other behaviors of the type. Thanks to its stupidity, a donkey doesn't understand such tactics are not working and keep attempting them until the bitter end.

sbr

Maladict

Habbaku

That's a pretty nice cross he's got himself on.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

It's funny. He was inviting people to come to Lisbon! to see the game for themselves. AARs were promised. Now when the AARs should have been posted, he said that he has cut off posting any info about the game. :D

garbon

QuoteJust to make sure, UV is not going to ask for any release. It is going to DEMAND it, together with other things.

Maladict

This is really great. Pdox should cancel more of their games.

DGuller

Quote from: Maladict on July 15, 2012, 02:53:47 PM
Quote from: ubik
You know what is the difference between a mule and a donkey?
Lipstick? :unsure:

szmik

Quote from: Solmyr on July 16, 2012, 04:40:06 AM
It's funny. He was inviting people to come to Lisbon! to see the game for themselves. AARs were promised. Now when the AARs should have been posted, he said that he has cut off posting any info about the game. :D

cause there's nothing to show? :lol:
Quote from: Neil on September 23, 2011, 08:41:24 AM
That's why Martinus, for all his spending on the trappings of wealth and taste, will never really have class.  He's just trying too hard to be something he isn't (an intelligent, tasteful gentleman), trying desperately to hide what he is (Polish trash with money and a severe behavioral disorder), and it shows in everything he says and does.  He's not our equal, not by a mile.

Admiral Yi

At what page did this thread change from fun new game to wacky rogue developer?  :lol: