Main Menu

Troy Davis execution

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 21, 2011, 04:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2011, 05:48:54 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 01, 2011, 05:31:53 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2011, 05:02:30 PM
I don't get all of youse' obsession about how rare a steak should be. I hate the taste of raw or semi-raw meat. Hence my steaks are not bloody, and I rarely eat sushi, since it's bland, gross and full of mercury.

It's not full of mercury.

It's not recommended for pregnant women to eat raw sushi. Tuna and most large top-of-the-food-chain fish found on the menu contain mercury in doses large enough to cause harm over a period of time.

Uh, if you have seafood that's contaminated with mercury, it's not recommened that anyone eat it.

And cooking food does not remove mercury or any other chemical contaminant.  Cooking will kill biological contaminants, but does nothing about chemical ones.

Zoupa

QuoteUh, if you have seafood that's contaminated with mercury, it's not recommened that anyone eat it.

NO WAY!!! REALLY?????

http://water.epa.gov/scitech/swguidance/fishshellfish/outreach/advice_index.cfm

QuoteAnd cooking food does not remove mercury or any other chemical contaminant.  Cooking will kill biological contaminants, but does nothing about chemical ones.

Pregnant women shouldn't eat raw meat or fish, contaminants or no.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on October 01, 2011, 10:23:08 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 01, 2011, 07:52:11 PM
Borscht is pretty amazing when you consider what it's made from.

What the hell is wrong with beets?

So, either you or DG need to provide me with a borscht recipe.  I shall at least attempt to expand my cultural boundaries into your terrifying cuisine.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on October 01, 2011, 05:44:23 PM
but there's a reason the waiter asks how well you like it.

Yeah, its a test to see if they should give you the good stuff or not.  If you ask for it cooked more than medium rare they know they can give you the poor quality meat because you are not going to be able to tell the difference.  Also, if you think sushi is bland, you are either not eating it correctly or the restaurant you go to doesnt prepare it correctly.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on October 01, 2011, 11:23:09 PM

So, either you or DG need to provide me with a borscht recipe.  I shall at least attempt to expand my cultural boundaries into your terrifying cuisine.

Borscht prepared well is very good.  Average Borscht is pretty bad.  You need to find a grandmother of East European descent to cook it for you.

Habbaku

Do they sell those in Canada?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

crazy canuck

Quote from: Habbaku on October 01, 2011, 11:30:20 PM
Do they sell those in Canada?

no , but they are pretty easy to find.  You need to date the granddaughter of one.

HVC

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2011, 11:27:48 PM

Yeah, its a test to see if they should give you the good stuff or not.  If you ask for it cooked more than medium rare they know they can give you the poor quality meat because you are not going to be able to tell the difference.  Also, if you think sushi is bland, you are either not eating it correctly or the restaurant you go to doesnt prepare it correctly.
if you order well done during peak hours there's a good chance you get the reheated steak that they over cooked when someone ordered medium to rare.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zoupa

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2011, 11:27:48 PM

Yeah, its a test to see if they should give you the good stuff or not.  If you ask for it cooked more than medium rare they know they can give you the poor quality meat because you are not going to be able to tell the difference. 

You're forgetting one thing: I'm a frog, and make sure to use my accent either in french or english. Chefs don't fuck with me.

QuoteAlso, if you think sushi is bland, you are either not eating it correctly or the restaurant you go to doesnt prepare it correctly.

Or, or, I have different tastes than you or whatever new fad everyone goes crazy for every other year.

I've dated one jap, 2 chinese, 2 viets and a flip. They know good spots. I went to Vancouver, where parents of said jap prepared us sushi. It still tasted bland and boring. Asian food overall is not great for me.

I'd go with Indian > Hakka > Korean > Chinese > Japanese.

Of course, these are my preferences. You're welcome to yours. I don't get this insistence that everybody needs to like the same shit.

Admiral Yi

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 02, 2011, 03:51:42 AM

The taste.

One of the most awesome dishes I've ever eaten was beets-based.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on October 02, 2011, 05:18:59 AM
One of the most awesome dishes I've ever eaten was beets-based.

Yeah, but you're half Finnish.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Zoupa on October 02, 2011, 01:54:56 AM
Or, or, I have different tastes than you

More to the point, you dont seem to have any taste at all.  Which is odd since you say you are a "frog". 

Here is one for Marti to try to figure out.  Zoupa is a "Frog" as Marti is a ______?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 01, 2011, 11:29:18 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on October 01, 2011, 11:23:09 PM

Borscht prepared well is very good.  Average Borscht is pretty bad.  You need to find a grandmother of East European descent to cook it for you.

I dunno about that.  Borscht is pretty damn simple to make (though time consuming).  It's not as if there's some great secret to it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)