News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Explain Turkey to me

Started by Tamas, September 19, 2011, 02:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Paging Sheilbh, mostly.

-the escalating sabre-rattling with Israel (I know the fascists jews help fuel the fire, but Turkey started it in earnest)
-the warning of Cyprus, to no go forward with the jew-funded gas drilling in the East Med
-the warning of EU to not let Cyprus be EU prez

What's the play here? What justifies this rather sudden retardism of Turkish foreign policy? Is Erdogan falling THAT fast in the polls? Are they heading to a debt crisis? They anticipate a mid east war and want to be on the forefront, earning ph3t loot?

Ideologue

Islam.  There, Turkey explained.

You were kidding about Israel being fascist, right, Horthy?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: Ideologue on September 19, 2011, 03:29:06 AM
Islam.  There, Turkey explained.

You were kidding about Israel being fascist, right, Horthy?

Well, their foreign minister comes off as a... well, a Russian. What he is.

Zanza

Their foreign policy goal is to establish themselves as a regional power that needs to be taken into account. To do that, they have to show strength versus the West, show support for Arab matters and to play to the domestic audience.

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, I think it is perfectly ordinary hubris. Turkey is enjoying rapid economic growth (8.8%) and it's budget deficit is only 1.55 of GDP, so they are feeling rather superior right now. Time to throw their weight around, get leadership of the muslim world, despatch a corps of Bashi-Bazouks to Bulgaria............all that sort of thing.

However, hubris leads to nemesis, their current account balance is -9.8% of GDP, so at some point the shit will hit the fan and they will be humbled............having lost some friends. Twas ever thus.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Turkey before alienating friends and asserting dominance

Turkey after alienating friends and asserting dominance

Turkey before alienating friends and asserting dominance

Turkey after alienating friends and asserting dominance

But seriously. Turkey after the Cold War conducted some serious reforms of their economy and their politics. Those reforms have driven the economy into high gear growth, soon it might catch Mexico in per capita GDP and they have enabled the usually excluded anatolian majority to influence politics. This results in assertive cryto-islamists in government.

To be honest, the EU has  not exactly treated Turkey fairly (Greek Cypriot referendum being the most recent and outrageous screw-the-turks moment). If we ever get to the point where we have to ask ourselves "who lost Turkey" then the answer is not the AKP, but rather the Elyseé Palace and the German Chancellery.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

That's baloney, Turks are responsible for their own destiny.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Crazy_Ivan80

When people say that the turks have been part of European history they are of course correct.
Problem is that the Turks have an image-problem cause they were invaders and occupiers with a wrong religion.

DGuller

Saying that Turks have been part of European history is like saying that Mongols have been part of Russian history.  Maybe that's correct, but it's not exactly the selling point one would want to use.

Barrister

Quote from: DGuller on September 19, 2011, 11:28:40 AM
Saying that Turks have been part of European history is like saying that Mongols have been part of Russian history.  Maybe that's correct, but it's not exactly the selling point one would want to use.

Except pretty much everyone's history in Europe is one of invasion.  The germanic tribes, the slavs, the Magyars - hell even the Vikings.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Warspite

Quote from: Viking on September 19, 2011, 09:40:09 AMIf we ever get to the point where we have to ask ourselves "who lost Turkey" then the answer is not the AKP, but rather the Elyseé Palace and the German Chancellery.

This.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA