Turkey makes more friends. This time: the EU

Started by Martinus, September 18, 2011, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 18, 2011, 11:29:23 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 09:01:47 AM
The Baltics practice sound economics and the rule of law as far as I'm aware.
Like 20% unemployment rates? :yeahright:

Tea Party economics.  I mean, they have a flat tax after all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2011, 11:38:20 AM
Quote from: Zanza on September 18, 2011, 09:29:40 AM
In hindsight, Greece shouldn't have joined the Euro, but they certainly have a place in the EU.
I think we could always have predicted Greece was going to be a problem.  It's not like we weren't warned, I mean their Euro coin image is of Zeus raping Europa.

Really?  Wow. :lol:

Re: the Baltics bar Lithuania, iirc, practice apartheid.  Or have they stopped being total monsters and nestled into more comfortable roles as the Alabama, Arkansas, and South Carolina of Europe?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

So they're the equal to Spain.  :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Martinus

You are aware wrong. On both counts.

Martinus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 19, 2011, 12:03:08 AM
In hindsight, Greece shouldn't have joined the Euro, but they certainly have a place in the EU.
I think we could always have predicted Greece was going to be a problem.  It's not like we weren't warned, I mean their Euro coin image is of Zeus raping Europa.

Re: the Baltics bar Lithuania, iirc, practice apartheid.  Or have they stopped being total monsters and nestled into more comfortable roles as the Alabama, Arkansas, and South Carolina of Europe?

Lithuania is nasty too, although they hate Poles more than Russians it seems (for example they banned people spelling their last names in a non-Lithuanian way, if you can imagine that). And they have implemented or tried to implement some of the most homophobic policies in the EU (e.g. a law which criminalizes, with possible prison sentences, "presenting homosexuality in a good light", which causes protests all across Europe).

Not to mention they still venerate nazis and remember with sentiment such stories as their national soccer team winning a match with the German team in 1941 and being taken, as a reward, to the local ghetto to have some fun shooting at the Jews.

Martinus

Quote from: Habbaku on September 19, 2011, 12:15:50 AM

So they're the equal to Spain.  :hmm:

Lithuania's economy contracted by 30% or so during the last few years. That's not comparable to Spain, you tard.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2011, 01:19:56 AM

Lithuania is nasty too, although they hate Poles more than Russians it seems (for example they banned people spelling their last names in a non-Lithuanian way, if you can imagine that). And they have implemented or tried to implement some of the most homophobic policies in the EU (e.g. a law which criminalizes, with possible prison sentences, "presenting homosexuality in a good light", which causes protests all across Europe).

Not to mention they still venerate nazis and remember with sentiment such stories as their national soccer team winning a match with the German team in 1941 and being taken, as a reward, to the local ghetto to have some fun shooting at the Jews.

:wub:

I've always liked the Lithuanians.

Ideologue

Quote from: Slargos on September 19, 2011, 02:37:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 19, 2011, 01:19:56 AM

:wub:

I've always liked the Lithuanians.

Why?  If the Balts were a superior people, surely they'd have avoided being subjugated by Poles and Russians.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2011, 11:18:42 PM

There you go.

Admiral Yi

You were the guy cracking on the CNBC talking heads for misunderstanding macroeconomics, right?

Unemployment is not a policy.  Loose money is a policy, which you can't pursue if your belong to a transnational currency, or you have a fixed exchange rate.  Deficit spending is a policy, which you might or might not be able to pursue given your fiscal situation.

Josquius

It is rather silly from Turkey.
But hey, hopefully it'll give Cyprus a kick up the bum to sort out its shit. We really should have made them do that before they could join the EU
██████
██████
██████

The Larch

AFAIK at least their attitude towards their Russian minorities improved as a condition towards joining the EU. Don't know how it is nowadays, but back in the day these minorities were essentially stateless as they wouldn't be given their corresponding Baltic nationality unless they passed language and culture tests that were understood to be way too rigurous and had to be relaxed. It seems that this was a problem mostly of the older generations, who hadn't ever used Estonian or Latvian in their day to day lives despite living there for their whole lifes.

Ideologue

Quote from: The Larch on September 19, 2011, 04:47:38 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 18, 2011, 11:18:42 PM

There you go.

Okay, that's fucked up on at least two levels.
Kinemalogue

Richard Hakluyt

:lmfao:

I'd never really thought about those Greek coins before............but have to admit that it is very funny given the way things have turned out. Well spotted Sheilbh  :thumbsup: