Turkey makes more friends. This time: the EU

Started by Martinus, September 18, 2011, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 08:16:54 AM
You're happy about Hungary?  Greece?
Greece joined in the 80s.  They shouldn't have been allowed in the Euro though.

I'd agree with Zanza's list.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2011, 08:55:38 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 08:16:54 AM
You're happy about Hungary?  Greece?
Greece joined in the 80s.  They shouldn't have been allowed in the Euro though.

I'd agree with Zanza's list.
Yeah, but they shouldn't have let them into the EU in the 80s, or ever.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 08:43:54 AM
Or those nasty Neo-Nazi Baltic states?  And Slovenia.

You and I appear to have different definitions of Neo-Nazi.  The Baltics practice sound economics and the rule of law as far as I'm aware.

What's your beef with Slovenia?  I can't think of a more boring entrant to the EU.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 09:01:47 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 08:43:54 AM
Or those nasty Neo-Nazi Baltic states?  And Slovenia.

You and I appear to have different definitions of Neo-Nazi.  The Baltics practice sound economics and the rule of law as far as I'm aware.

What's your beef with Slovenia?  I can't think of a more boring entrant to the EU.

Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.  The Baltic states have a bad habit of venerating Nazis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 08:16:54 AMYou're happy about Hungary?  Greece?
Hungary's current policies are indeed a concern. It remains to be seen how it will develop.

In hindsight, Greece shouldn't have joined the Euro, but they certainly have a place in the EU.

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 09:20:17 AM
Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.  The Baltic states have a bad habit of venerating Nazis.
Can you blame them?  For them, the Nazis were the good guys who showed up to liberate them from the Russians.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2011, 09:40:32 AM
Can you blame them?  For them, the Nazis were the good guys who showed up to liberate them from the Russians.

Of course I can blame them.  I'm doing it right now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 10:23:48 AM
You have that freedom, but I am dismissing your criticism.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on September 18, 2011, 10:28:58 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 10:23:48 AM
You have that freedom, but I am dismissing your criticism.

Of course, the Nazis sold them out in the first place.  The ones the Germans wanted to keep were transferred out.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on September 18, 2011, 09:29:40 AM
In hindsight, Greece shouldn't have joined the Euro, but they certainly have a place in the EU.
I think we could always have predicted Greece was going to be a problem.  It's not like we weren't warned, I mean their Euro coin image is of Zeus raping Europa.

I have some concerns with the Baltic states over their treatment of the Russian speaking minority and whether that's really okay within the EU.  But I think things are improving.  Aside from Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus those are the only countries I wasn't sure should join.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 18, 2011, 09:29:40 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 08:16:54 AMYou're happy about Hungary?  Greece?
Hungary's current policies are indeed a concern. It remains to be seen how it will develop.

I think Hungary's problem is that Jobbik did not win the last elections.

I'll let you people figure that one out (hint: it's an analogy to the developments in Poland ;)).

Razgovory

Quote from: Habbaku on September 18, 2011, 11:18:40 AM
Slovenia was part of Yugoslavia.

So?

That's like saying you were once part of the Mob.  Or this lump was once part of a cancerous growth.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 18, 2011, 11:38:20 AM
I think we could always have predicted Greece was going to be a problem.  It's not like we weren't warned, I mean their Euro coin image is of Zeus raping Europa.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 09:01:47 AM
The Baltics practice sound economics and the rule of law as far as I'm aware.
Like 20% unemployment rates? :yeahright: