Turkey makes more friends. This time: the EU

Started by Martinus, September 18, 2011, 06:36:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

QuoteTurkey to freeze EU ties if Cyprus gets EU presidency

ANKARA: Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Besir Atalay said EU-candidate Turkey would freeze relations with the European Union if Cyprus is given the rotating EU presidency in 2012, state-run Anatolian news agency reported late on Saturday.   

"If the peace negotiations there (Cyprus) are not conclusive, and the EU gives its rotating presidency to southern Cyprus, the real crisis will be between Turkey and the EU,"
Anatolian quoted Atalay as telling Turkish Cypriot Bayrak Radio and TV at the end of a trip to the breakaway state of northern Cyprus.   

"Because we will then freeze our relations with the EU, we have made this announcement, as a government we have made this decision," the agency quoted Atalay as saying.

The internationally-recognised Greek Cypriot government is due to obtain the six-month rotating EU presidency in July 2012.

What a bunch of retarded fucks. Seriously. :D

For the non-EU types, the rotating presidency thing as the word "rotating" implies, moves automatically to a different EU country each 6 months. So there is no EU decision involved here. And it is a purely procedural position - it does not involve any real power.

Zanza

It was a mistake to admit Cyprus before they sorted out the conflict.

Martinus

Quote from: Zanza on September 18, 2011, 07:23:10 AM

No it wasn't. If Cyprus was stirring up shit, you would be right, but it's Turkey that's being unreasonable here.

Zanza

It was South Cyprus that voted against the UN brokered peace deal with North Cyprus.

Iormlund

In related news, certain EU citizen who happens to be my brother has decided to end his grand tour in Turkey due to deepening relations with a representative of local female population.

Fireblade

Quote from: Iormlund on September 18, 2011, 07:34:22 AM
In related news, certain EU citizen who happens to be my brother has decided to end his grand tour in Turkey due to deepening relations with a representative of local female population.

Sand nigger lover.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on September 18, 2011, 07:34:22 AM

:hmm:  Problems with the clan?

Iormlund

Can I be: Ottoman in-law? :P

If her parents haven't lynched them yet I might go visit next spring. Apparently they'll live between Troy and Istanbul so there'll be a lot of interesting stuff to see.

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Iormlund on September 18, 2011, 07:49:10 AM
Can I be: Ottoman in-law? :P

If her parents haven't lynched them yet I might go visit next spring. Apparently they'll live between Troy and Istanbul so there'll be a lot of interesting stuff to see.

I can think of all kinds of Halloween costume possiblilities.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zanza on September 18, 2011, 07:23:10 AM

It was a mistake to admit about of a third of the countries in the EU.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Zanza

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 08:01:40 AMIt was a mistake to admit about of a third of the countries in the EU.
Not really. The only other countries that shouldn't have joined in their then or even current state are Romania and Bulgaria. So that's 3 out of 27.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on September 18, 2011, 08:12:09 AM
Not really. The only other countries that shouldn't have joined in their then or even current state are Romania and Bulgaria. So that's 3 out of 27.

You're happy about Hungary?  Greece?

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2011, 08:01:40 AMIt was a mistake to admit about of a third of the countries in the EU.
There's also Greece.  The Greeks were, and remain, evil.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2011, 08:16:54 AM

You're happy about Hungary?  Greece?

Or those nasty Neo-Nazi Baltic states?  And Slovenia.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017