Are Republicans Turning Into Libertarians?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 23, 2009, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on April 27, 2009, 04:07:15 PM
However, if they slide quite a bit further towards libertarianism, that would be a very good thing.

Agree.  I'm still socially conservative, but economic issues are much more important In These Troubled Times (r).  I'd be okay if the GOP went neutral on a few social issues, if it'd put its money where its mouth is with all the libertarian rhetoric.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on April 27, 2009, 05:30:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on April 27, 2009, 05:21:33 PM
Quote from: fahdiz on April 27, 2009, 05:20:29 PM
What are the rules?
No Marti like activity.

No gays?  Sounds awfully similar to the Republicans...

No trend whoring gays. Garbons and Habsys still welcome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Valmy

I find the Republicans attempts to hijack the Ron Pauliacs and Libertarians distasteful and think they are only going in this direction because they are out of power.  Believing the power of government should be curtailed is very popular when the other guys control it.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

I think it's pretty simple, when the Republicans (as a party, many exceptions exist for individual Republicans) aren't in government they hate the government and express this by opposing "big government".  When they are in power, they don't hate the government very much and try to influence it to do what they think is right.

Thus the opposition to "big government" is primarily a reflection of "we lost the election".  It will probably be reflected is specific electioneering language, but it does not necessarily (or even probably) indicate that any future hypothetical Republican governments will shrink the size of government (though they'll likely shrink the size of programs they disagree with).

Just a guess.

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on April 27, 2009, 06:13:30 PM
I find the Republicans attempts to hijack the Ron Pauliacs and Libertarians distasteful and think they are only going in this direction because they are out of power.  Believing the power of government should be curtailed is very popular when the other guys control it.

Hijacking the Ron Pauliacs is like Hijacking the Clown Car at the circus.  It might be satisfying but it won't get you anywhere.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Raz has a point: the last election should have shown republicans that while the public hates them, it is even less inclined to vote for the Ron Paul version of their brand.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

alfred russel

Anyway, how did we arrive at the idea that Republicans are more liberation now than a few months ago? There hasn't been a shortage of anguish over gay marriage in the past few months, and I haven't heard of a big shift on abortion policy.

The poll to start the thread probably would have had the similar results over the past 20 years. Big Government as the enemy has been standard mantra since reagan. Certainly the republicans weren't going to pick Big Business, and how can anyone think unions are the biggest problem in the current pathetic state?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on April 27, 2009, 06:22:47 PM
Hijacking the Ron Pauliacs is like Hijacking the Clown Car at the circus.  It might be satisfying but it won't get you anywhere.

:lol:

But it is oh so satisfying.
and the horse you rode in on

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2009, 06:22:11 PM
I think it's pretty simple, when the Republicans (as a party, many exceptions exist for individual Republicans) aren't in government they hate the government and express this by opposing "big government".  When they are in power, they don't hate the government very much and try to influence it to do what they think is right.

Thus the opposition to "big government" is primarily a reflection of "we lost the election".  It will probably be reflected is specific electioneering language, but it does not necessarily (or even probably) indicate that any future hypothetical Republican governments will shrink the size of government (though they'll likely shrink the size of programs they disagree with).

Just a guess.

Yeah, it's a tactic not an issue.  Same thing with government spending.  Government spending is bad when are out of office because it's being spent on stuff you don't like.  When you are in office it's going to good causes.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 27, 2009, 06:22:11 PM

Just a guess.
I think it's very problematic to draw conclusions about the Republican party based on one presidency.

saskganesh

humans were created in their own image

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 27, 2009, 11:32:19 PMI think it's very problematic to draw conclusions about the Republican party based on one presidency.

I'm drawing a conclusion about the Republican Party right now, thus I think the last 16 years or so is adequate and for that period I think my conclusion is reasonably reasonable.