Are Republicans Turning Into Libertarians?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 23, 2009, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Nate Silver is asking:

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/are-republicans-going-galt.html

Are Republicans turning into libertarians?

Last week's Tea Party protests had their origins in the libertarian movement. Although many conservative groups were eager to co-opt their purpose, the core of the message -- anti-tax, anti-big government -- was about as libertarian as it gets. Participation in the rallies was also proportionately quite high in areas like New Hampshire and the Interior West, which are traditionally more sympathetic toward libertarian concerns.

We can argue about the significance of the tea paries and we can argue about whether they represent the way forward for Republicans. But they are just one manifesation of what seems like an increasing drift toward libertariansim within the party. Consdier also:

-- A new Gallup survey suggests that 80 percent of Republicans think that big government is a bigger threat to the government than big business, versus just 10 percent who think the opposite. This represents an enormous partisan split from Democrats, among whom a majority think that big business is the greater threat. Moreover, the partisan split has grown significantly since 2006; it has now become almost a definitional issue for Republicans.

-- The Republican alternative budget could be considered a somewhat radical experiment in libertarianism, dramatically slashing taxes while promising to balance budgets -- an achievement that would only be possible if the size of the government were cut enormously. Meanwhile, the Republicans, with help from some Democrats, stuck into the budget debate an amendment to curb the estate tax, which will cost the government about $100 billion in revenue annually.
-- Republican insiders are increasingly uncertain about whether gay marriage, which was such an important issue for the party over 2000-2004, is any longer a winning issue at all for them. Reaction to the Iowa Supreme Court decision was surprisingly muted in conservative circles. Meanwhile, at least one prominent Republican presidential candidate, Utah's John Huntsman, has come out in favor of civil unions (although not gay marriage itself).
-- If gay bashing is becoming less in vogue among Republicans, it's unclear which other cultural issues -- areas where Republicans sometimes favor bigger, more statist government -- might take its place. Yes, there's always abortion. But I'm surprised there hasn't been more anti-immigrant sentiment, as often happens when jobs are scarce; perhaps the Republicans' poor performance among Latino voters on November 4th might have scared them away from that issue. Marijuana legalization seems to be gaining some traction (although more among pundits than policymakers), but about half the conservative commentariat (see Glenn Beck, for instance, who calls himself a libertarian) seems to embrace it.

Maybe you see a pattern there and maybe you don't. But of the roughly four different pathways the Republicans could take in the post-Obama universe -- toward Ron Paulesque libertarianism, toward Sarah Palinesque cultural populism, toward Mike Huckabeesque big-government conservatism, or toward Olympia Snowesque moderation/ good-governmentism -- the libertarian side would seem to have had the best go of things in the First 100 Days.

To me, the GOP seems to always become more "libertarian"--if you want to use that word--when they're out of power. Gingrich came in on a wave of "fiscal responsibility" and a lot of talk about balancing the budget, not on making sure gays can't marry or banning abortion. Mostly, I think, because while they do get material support and possibly a core constituency from the cultural right, they don't really ever become a serious contender in the numbers until the cultural moderates come in too. And to those people, abortion et al just isn't a big issue.

As soon as they get in power though, all that responsibility crap goes right out the window.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Neil

The permanent economic meltdown that libertarianism in the US would cause would certainly bring about an interesting international scene.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Faeelin

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 12:26:55 PM
Interesting... and Hod I hope so  :cool:

Don't get your hopes up. The Libertarian GOP will continue the Bush era crackdown on civil rights, cut funding for education, lower taxes, and keep the God hates fags and demands abstinence education.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Faeelin on April 23, 2009, 12:38:56 PMDon't get your hopes up. The Libertarian GOP will continue the Bush era crackdown on civil rights, cut funding for education, lower taxes, and keep the God hates fags and demands abstinence education.

Yes sir  :cry:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 23, 2009, 12:23:55 PM
To me, the GOP seems to always become more "libertarian"--if you want to use that word--when they're out of power. Gingrich came in on a wave of "fiscal responsibility" and a lot of talk about balancing the budget, not on making sure gays can't marry or banning abortion. Mostly, I think, because while they do get material support and possibly a core constituency from the cultural right, they don't really ever become a serious contender in the numbers until the cultural moderates come in too. And to those people, abortion et al just isn't a big issue.

As soon as they get in power though, all that responsibility crap goes right out the window.

Problem is it nearly always costs more votes to cut spending than it gains. People benefitting from various government subsidies or employment are much more sensitive to fluctuations in spending than the average taxpayer. So while campaigning on a vague idea of cutting spending can net you a few percentage points, once you propose concrete cuts(whether campaign rhetoric or in an actual bill) those electoral gains fade away and then some.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

It is neither likely or desirable.  The last thing the GOP needs is more Black Helicopter types.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

great, more Ron Paul fruits out in the wild. I can isolate myself from the internet ones, but it gets harder in the real world.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Queequeg

What kind of Libertarian tries to defend torture outside of being exposed to Rand's "novels"?   :huh:
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Caliga

Quote from: Queequeg on April 23, 2009, 01:52:36 PM
What kind of Libertarian tries to defend torture outside of being exposed to Rand's "novels"?   :huh:

:unsure: What generated that question?  Anyway, I can't imagine many libertarians feel the government has the right to torture, or certainly not its own citizens, at least.

The Brain

You can torture brown people. It's in the Constitution.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Quote from: The Brain on April 23, 2009, 02:00:30 PM
You can torture brown people. It's in the Constitution.

That's in the Declaration of the Rights of Men, not the Constitution.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 01:59:08 PM
:unsure: What generated that question?

Spellus-Speak say : All Republicans support torture.  If Republicans become Libertarians, then Libertarians will support torture.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

saskganesh

interesting that 13% of democrats think Big Unions are the biggest problem.  this gives them the lead.

as it goes against stereotype, anyone have thoughts on this?
humans were created in their own image