Are Republicans Turning Into Libertarians?

Started by MadImmortalMan, April 23, 2009, 12:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2009, 02:03:19 PMSpellus-Speak say : All Republicans support torture.  If Republicans become Libertarians, then Libertarians will support torture.

Is it Spellus who thinks all Republicans are party ideologues, and I've been slandering Raz this whole time?  :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: saskganesh on April 23, 2009, 02:03:45 PM
interesting that 13% of democrats think Big Unions are the biggest problem.  this gives them the lead.

as it goes against stereotype, anyone have thoughts on this?

Dunno. I'm a democrat who thinks big unions can be a threat. Maybe it's because the unions have a pretty important slice of the democrat pie, and the other factions see them as a threat against their own interests in that they compete for the attentions of policymakers and have a lot of cash to do it. Time spent on card check is time not spent on saving the planet, or whatever.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Ed Anger

Quote from: Queequeg on April 23, 2009, 01:52:36 PM
What kind of Libertarian tries to defend torture outside of being exposed to Rand's "novels"?   :huh:

Armenian ones.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

interesting that 13% of democrats think Big Unions are the biggest problem.  this gives them the lead.

The stereotype is about absolute perception of the problem, not relative to other problems.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 23, 2009, 02:09:23 PM

Dunno. I'm a democrat who thinks big unions can be a threat. Maybe it's because the unions have a pretty important slice of the democrat pie, and the other factions see them as a threat against their own interests in that they compete for the attentions of policymakers and have a lot of cash to do it. Time spent on card check is time not spent on saving the planet, or whatever.

I suspect low wage-earners who aren't unionized or are in ineffectual ones are most likely to pick that option.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on April 23, 2009, 02:03:19 PM
Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 01:59:08 PM
:unsure: What generated that question?

Spellus-Speak say : All Republicans support torture.  If Republicans become Libertarians, then Libertarians will support torture.

btw is Spellus-Speak like "Speak & Spell"?  It buzzes at you if you don't spell Byzantine "BZYANTINE". ^_^
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 02:04:22 PM
Is it Spellus who thinks all Republicans are party ideologues, and I've been slandering Raz this whole time?  :(
Spellus has always stood in the front rank of Bush haters.  Maybe now that the Bush administration is over he's transferring his allegiance.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Habbaku

Quote from: Caliga on April 23, 2009, 02:04:22 PM

I don't believe Raz thinks that.  Spellus lives in his own, special world of crazy, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

saskganesh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 23, 2009, 02:17:03 PM

The stereotype is about absolute perception of the problem, not relative to other problems.

in other words, you have no idea.
humans were created in their own image

derspiess

In my case, my slide back in the direction of libertarianism started during Bush's 2nd term.  It has accelerated in the past 100 days, of course.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

saskganesh

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on April 23, 2009, 02:09:23 PM

in our own domestic, left party,  a big minority don't like the increased role unions have, guaranteed votes for example.

or it could be envy.  or memories of bad treatment by a union.

saskganesh

Martinus

I thought letting fags marry was the biggest threat?  :huh: