Pennsylvania Ponders Bold Democrat-Screwing Electoral Plan

Started by jimmy olsen, September 14, 2011, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Quote from: Berkut on September 14, 2011, 10:31:29 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 14, 2011, 09:44:46 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2011, 08:44:39 PM
It's not a democracy, it's a republic.

If you want more democracy, campaign for your state to join the National Popular Vote bandwagon.
It's up to 132 votes, 49% of the way there.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

I always found retarded that you guys didn't already have that.

I was going to give you the entire song and dance about how the electoral system is important because it means that candidates cannot ignore smaller states in favor of just going where the population is at, but then I got thinking...so what?

These are national elections we are talking about, and the debate and campaign is national in scope.

Exactly. Especially when you have a Congress that actually wields power. The Presidency shouldn't have to rely on anything but total number of votes.

Razgovory

I was going to give you the entire song and dance about how the electoral system is important because it means that candidates cannot ignore smaller states in favor of just going where the population is at, but then I got thinking...so what?

These are national elections we are talking about, and the debate and campaign is national in scope. What difference does it make if Presidential candidates actually visit Wyoming or not? It's not like if they don't people in Wyoming won't know who is running, or what they stand for, right?

Hell, the entire travelling around and visiting places as part of the effort to garner votes is pretty silly anyway. Our entire process is strucutured around an eleectoral system that is not founded on anything that has current relevancy, really. Iowa is stupidly important, along with Massachusetts. Why? Because they have early primaries.

I think Zoupa is right. The electoral system is retarded in general.

I am beginning to think you are right.  I was against the idea during the Bush administration because I felt it would look like sour grapes.  Still, the 2000 election where the guy who gets less votes then the other loses is not ideal.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

These are national elections we are talking about, and the debate and campaign is national in scope. What difference does it make if Presidential candidates actually visit Wyoming or not? It's not like if they don't people in Wyoming won't know who is running, or what they stand for, right?

The candidates don't even actually go to small states though since almost all of them lean strongly one way.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

If you want more democracy, campaign for your state to join the National Popular Vote bandwagon.

Both wrong. We're a kleptocracy.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Berkut

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2011, 10:58:19 PM

The candidates don't even actually go to small states though since almost all of them lean strongly one way.

My point is that there really isn't any actual reason for them to go to any particular states, except for the electoral system, which just pushes them go to a select few states, while ignoring most of them.

So it doesn't even do what the one thing that it is supposed to be useful for - keeping smaller states relevant. Instead it just keeps a few small states much more relevant than they ought to be.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 14, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

I thought we were an autonomous collective.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

dps

I think that their plan sucks.  If you want to go to direct popular election of the President, fine, but in that case just amend the Constitution and abolish the Electoral College.

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on September 14, 2011, 11:09:48 PM
Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on September 14, 2011, 11:01:29 PM

I thought we were an autonomous collective.
:lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2011, 11:28:47 PM

I think that their plan sucks.  If you want to go to direct popular election of the President, fine, but in that case just amend the Constitution and abolish the Electoral College.

That would be the best way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Slargos

jimmy olsen

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2011, 11:28:47 PM

That would be better, but this way works. The Constitution gives state legislatures the ability to choose electors as they see fit. If they want to do it this way there's no stopping them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

If all swing states did this the electoral college results per candidate would be virtually indentical every single election wouldn't it?  The same states would go Dem or Republican and the swing states would be split.

That would be nice we wouldn't even have to bother with the general election.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

So in spite of Pennsylvania giving Republicans control of its legislature, Pennsylvania Republicans are so confident the state will go blue in any close election that they'd rather just remove the state's ability to influence the election.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2011, 10:58:19 PM

Agreed.  It's not like the present system doesn't lead to states being ignored.  It just leads to different states being ignored (the ones which are not battleground, which is usually 75% of them these days).

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2011, 09:39:47 AM
So in spite of Pennsylvania giving Republicans control of its legislature, Pennsylvania Republicans are so confident the state will go blue in any close election that they'd rather just remove the state's ability to influence the election.  :hmm:
Local vs. federal.  Just because New York City elected Rudy Giuliani doesn't mean that they suddenly became pro-life and wanted to abolish Social Security.