Pennsylvania Ponders Bold Democrat-Screwing Electoral Plan

Started by jimmy olsen, September 14, 2011, 06:43:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Wow, that's just shameless.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2011/09/13/pennsylvania_ponders_bold_democrat_screwing_electoral_plan.html
Pennsylvania Ponders Bold Democrat-Screwing Electoral Plan

By David Weigel

| Posted Tuesday, Sep. 13, 2011, at 4:06 PM EDT

Laura Olson reports on the happenings in Harrisburg, where Republicans now control all of the branches of government:

Senate Majority Leader Dominic Pileggi is trying to gather support to change the state's "winner-takes-all" approach for awarding electoral votes. Instead, he's suggesting that Pennsylvania dole them out based on which candidate wins each of the 18 congressional districts, with the final two going to the contender with the most votes statewide.

In other reports, Pileggi sounds awfully sanguine about the effect this would have on PA as a swing state. Why even bring that up? Pennsylvania is typically a closely-divided state, and while it's gone Democratic in every election since 1992, it's been heavily campaigned-in every year.

So, let's pretend this is a totally political neutral decision. If the next Republican candidate breaks the streak and wins the state, it would be horrible for him -- he'd shed electoral votes. But if the president wins, he's down at least nine, possibly ten electoral votes, because congressional districting is slanted towards the GOP.

Here's what I mean. In 2008, Barack Obama won the state by 10 points (overcoming a last-minute hoax scare wherein a Republican volunteer faked a mugging and claimed a black man carved a B on her face, for Barack). But the congressional map had been gerrymandered by Republicans in 2001, and John McCain ended up winning 10 of 19 congressional districts. If the Pileggi plan had been in place, Obama's rout would have given him a slim 11-10 electoral vote victory. If Republicans do a smarter gerrymander this time, they could craft an 11-7 map, or even a 12-6 map (they'll have 18 to work with, thanks to the Census taking one seat away). Let's say Obama carries Pennsylvania narrowly, but loses 11 congressional districts. In that scenario, the winner of the Pennsylvania popular vote takes nine EVs; the loser takes 11 EVs. How's that reform look to you?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

This is why every state should be winner take all unless there is a collective move away from that system.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Ideologue

Quote from: alfred russel on September 14, 2011, 06:47:38 PM
This is why every state should be winner take all unless there is a collective move away from that system.

Precisely.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Aren't there a few states now that award electoral votes proportional to the popular vote in the state?  I don't see the problem with that.

Agree that using gerrymandered districts is very gamey.

KRonn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:56:17 PM

Aren't there a few states now that award electoral votes proportional to the popular vote in the state?  I don't see the problem with that.

I like that electoral vote system better, seems more equitable. So that voters in a State who don't get the majority still have their votes count.

Massachusetts is gerrymandering now. Going to lose one or two districts, due to population loss. About ten years ago our House Speakers got convicted of some crimes over it, misdemeanors but lost his law license. Be interesting to see how it goes now; so brazenly political. Hehe..

garbon

Quote(overcoming a last-minute hoax scare wherein a Republican volunteer faked a mugging and claimed a black man carved a B on her face, for Barack).

I don't remember the impact but was Barack really looking at failing in Penn because of that?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Faeelin

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:56:17 PM

Eh, that's great in theory, and I'd support it if every state did this, but all this is doing is destroy any belief in the notion of democracy. Pennsylvania's Republicans are worried the state will vote for Obama, so they're using control of the legislature to switch a system that's been in place for decades... actually, when did Pennsylvania not have this?

Let's suppose Obama loses again, thanks in part to this, despite getting 52% of the national vote. Why should anyone continue to have faith in American democracy after that?

jimmy olsen

It's not a democracy, it's a republic.

If you want more democracy, campaign for your state to join the National Popular Vote bandwagon.
It's up to 132 votes, 49% of the way there.

http://www.nationalpopularvote.com/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2011, 08:44:39 PM

I am shocked that you hate using words the way culture and the English language have evolved to use them, preferring to nitpick for unclear reasons while missing the point entirely.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on September 14, 2011, 08:52:12 PM

I am shocked that you hate using words the way culture and the English language have evolved to use them, preferring to nitpick for unclear reasons while missing the point entirely.
Look I acknowledge that the meaning of the word has changed, but facts are facts. The Founding Fathers weren't a fan and drew up the constitution to make the nation a Republic. That's how it works. I agree that the way the President is elected should change, and support NPV to that ends. Whining that the nation isn't a democracy doesn't change anything and just tells us something we already know.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Zoupa

If you want more democracy, campaign for your state to join the National Popular Vote bandwagon.

I always found retarded that you guys didn't already have that.

Berkut

Quote from: Zoupa on September 14, 2011, 09:44:46 PM

I always found retarded that you guys didn't already have that.

I was going to give you the entire song and dance about how the electoral system is important because it means that candidates cannot ignore smaller states in favor of just going where the population is at, but then I got thinking...so what?

These are national elections we are talking about, and the debate and campaign is national in scope. What difference does it make if Presidential candidates actually visit Wyoming or not? It's not like if they don't people in Wyoming won't know who is running, or what they stand for, right?

Hell, the entire travelling around and visiting places as part of the effort to garner votes is pretty silly anyway. Our entire process is strucutured around an eleectoral system that is not founded on anything that has current relevancy, really. Iowa is stupidly important, along with Massachusetts. Why? Because they have early primaries.

I think Zoupa is right. The electoral system is retarded in general.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Queequeg

Republicans are Asshats.  Berkut takes centrist position by blaming everything on system.  Film at 11.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

That's dumb, because the two are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, I get it that Republican pundits like the sound of "Republic" better than "Democracy" but you're a republic because you don't have hereditary heads of state and you're a democracy because you elect your governments. The US is a democratic republic.

Now, we only need to find a way to add a "people's" in there....