News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would embracing gays cost conservatives votes?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2011, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

I don't think conservative voters are particularly whiny, except about having to pay taxes. Conservative pundits, on the other hand...
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 09:34:45 PMOh.  Well what did you mean then?
Oh no, I was just meaning this was the big example.
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 11:01:21 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 09:33:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 07:47:19 PM
Okay, well let me know if you guys come up with any actual examples :lol:

I didn't realize you meant 'wants special deals and stuff' as victimization.  I was thinking of it as an identity thing and a source of political mobilization.

I wonder what special deals gays want?

Hate crime legislation.  Recognition of "gay pride" or whatever at universities, private companies, etc.

And same-sex marriage ;)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2011, 10:36:47 AM

Hate crime legislation.  Recognition of "gay pride" or whatever at universities, private companies, etc.

And same-sex marriage ;)

Ahh, so not being persecuted is a "special deal".  Do not many Conservatives demand special recognition of Christianity in government and the like?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Not to mention that conservatives demand special education for their kids.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

And same-sex marriage ;)
same sex marriage is not a special deal.  It's an extension of a right currently available to all other people.
A divorced man and a divorced woman can remarry outside of the Church.  I don't see why two guys or two girls can't do it outside of Church.

Modern societies waste too much time on trivialities like this.  And then they complain that economic crisis happens out of nowhere, no one saw that coming.  Gee, no wonder.  That's like sleeping at the wheel and complaining the moose came out of nowhere, duh.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 10:46:11 AM
Modern societies waste too much time on trivialities like this. 

It's not something trivial. It's a pretty fundamental reflection of what type of society we have.

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

And same-sex marriage ;)

None of those are special deals available only to gays a la Affirmative Action or Quotas.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 15, 2011, 10:54:21 AM

It's not something trivial. It's a pretty fundamental reflection of what type of society we have.

I found Viper's statement at odds to his passionate arguments about changing the name of the Canadian military last week.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

whenever you grant a right to a general population and restrict it to a minority, it's something that should be corrected, unless it brings serious harm to the society, or to another group of people.
It always amaze me that some groups pretending to be right-wing in economics, wishing for less restrictions on businesses and individuals in their economic activities are the ones pushing for more restrictions on social issue.

See, we tolerate homosexuality, we have ruled, with scientific evidence, that it no more harmful than heterosexality.  There is harm to the society in that gays don't reproduce, hence reduce the birth rate, but it's not enough to matter.
It goes from there, that gays should have the same rights as heteros, end of story.  No need to debate with a Bible in hand, no need to invent stuff, no need to endless bitching from gay lobbies, heteros have the right to marry outside of the traditional church rules, so gays should have that right to.  End of debate, correc the mistake, go to next problem.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:05:27 PM
...heteros have the right to marry outside of the traditional church rules, so gays should have that right to.  End of debate, correc the mistake, go to next problem.

What have you done to my homophobic enemy?  <_<

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2011, 11:16:03 AM

I found Viper's statement at odds to his passionate arguments about changing the name of the Canadian military last week.
Tell me Raz, who was being hurt, legally, by not having a colonial name for the army?  Are you telling me that gay marriage is a non issue because gays did not suffer any kind of legal discrimination that married heteros don't face during their lives?

viper37

Quote from: Grallon on September 15, 2011, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:05:27 PM
...heteros have the right to marry outside of the traditional church rules, so gays should have that right to.  End of debate, correc the mistake, go to next problem.

What have you done to my homophobic enemy?  <_<
G.
I don't know.  Did he ever really existed?

I still don't like seeing two guys kissing on tv, if that helps you ;)  I skip through these parts in True Bloood with my remote control, just as I skip the incessant 'nude Eric' parts too.

Sheilbh

Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2011, 10:36:47 AMRecognition of "gay pride" or whatever at universities, private companies, etc.
Have you any examples of this because I don't really know what you mean.
Let's bomb Russia!

Grallon

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:14:06 PM

I still don't like seeing two guys kissing on tv, if that helps you ;)  I skip through these parts in True Bloood with my remote control, just as I skip the incessant 'nude Eric' parts too.

:rolleyes:  There he is.

Two guys kissing is so sweet.   That's really the only thing I'm missing since I've become celibate.  :licklips:

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel