News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would embracing gays cost conservatives votes?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2011, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:14:06 PM
Quote from: Grallon on September 15, 2011, 12:07:54 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:05:27 PM
...heteros have the right to marry outside of the traditional church rules, so gays should have that right to.  End of debate, correc the mistake, go to next problem.

What have you done to my homophobic enemy?  <_<
G.
I don't know.  Did he ever really existed?

I still don't like seeing two guys kissing on tv, if that helps you ;)  I skip through these parts in True Bloood with my remote control, just as I skip the incessant 'nude Eric' parts too.

I think that's alright. I don't like the sight of women in erotic situations, and a naked vagina makes me sick. A visceral reaction to anything is not a sign of homophobia (anymore than having sexual preference for certain races makes you racist), as long as you do not transfer this into the area of cognitive views.

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2011, 01:28:00 PM
(anymore than having sexual preference for certain races makes you racist),

How much more racist can you get?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on September 15, 2011, 01:28:00 PM
I don't like the sight of women in erotic situations, and a naked vagina makes me sick.

You misogynistic bastard!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 12:11:22 PM

Tell me Raz, who was being hurt, legally, by not having a colonial name for the army?  Are you telling me that gay marriage is a non issue because gays did not suffer any kind of legal discrimination that married heteros don't face during their lives?

Nobody was hurt.  Just as nobody was hurt using  the royal name.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

viper37

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2011, 02:32:55 PM
Nobody was hurt.
than why change it?  Some people were obviously hurt by this colonial symbol, with good historical reasons.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2011, 10:42:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on September 15, 2011, 10:36:47 AM

Hate crime legislation.  Recognition of "gay pride" or whatever at universities, private companies, etc.

And same-sex marriage ;)

Ahh, so not being persecuted is a "special deal".  Do not many Conservatives demand special recognition of Christianity in government and the like?

I'm all in favor of laws making it a crime to physically attack another person without provocation.  I don't see any need for a law that would make it a more serious crime to attack me withou provocation due to me being a Christian.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 15, 2011, 03:08:19 PM
I'm all in favor of laws making it a crime to physically attack another person without provocation.  I don't see any need for a law that would make it a more serious crime to attack me withou provocation due to me being a Christian.

I do not know for sure but isn't the source of that an attempt to take down the 'gay panic' defense thing?  I do not see how that compares to anything Christians face in this country.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Valmy on September 15, 2011, 03:25:26 PM

I do not know for sure but isn't the source of that an attempt to take down the 'gay panic' defense thing?  I do not see how that compares to anything Christians face in this country.

Don't need to do anything for that. It's a stupid non-defense already.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Valmy

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 15, 2011, 03:40:49 PM
Don't need to do anything for that. It's a stupid non-defense already.

I agree I was just saying they were trying to correct something with that law.  I am certainly not in favor of hate crime legislation.

Martinus

We have had this argument before. Motivation plays an important role in penalization of crimes and can even affect a type of crime. The state can find certain motivations more heinous than others (or more harmful than others) and act accordingly.

Terrorism is a great example of that.

Sheilbh

Yeah.  As far as I can see hate crimes legislation just gives particular weight to motive in certain cases, and there's nothing unusual or offensive in that.

Christians are covered by British hate crime law anyway :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Razgovory

Quote from: viper37 on September 15, 2011, 02:54:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2011, 02:32:55 PM
Nobody was hurt.
than why change it?  Some people were obviously hurt by this colonial symbol, with good historical reasons.

Only in the same way some people are hurt when gays get married.  It's to preserve culture and such.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Speaking of which, from the Last Republican of Hollywood:

QuoteLOS ANGELES (TheWrap.com) - He won't be riding the main float during Pride, but Clint Eastwood doesn't care if same-sex couples get married.

In the October issue of GQ Magazine, the steely gazed slab of machismo says he doesn't think gay marriage should be such a controversial issue.

"These people who are making a big deal about gay marriage?" Eastwood tells the magazine. "I don't give a fuck about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We're making a big deal out of things we shouldn't be making a deal out of ... Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want."

The Oscar-winning director is promoting "J. Edgar," his biopic about J. Edgar Hoover, the controversial longtime FBI chief, who many suspected to be closeted.

Leonardo DiCaprio, who stars as the bureau chief, also thinks that the gay marriage debate has been overblown.

"That's the most infuriating thing -- watching people focus on these things," DiCaprio told GQ. "Meanwhile, there's the onset of global warming and these incredibly scary and menacing things with the future of our economy."

Though DiCaprio is a prominent supporter of liberal causes and candidates, Eastwood is known as one of Hollywood's few Republicans. However, he maintains that his attitude is in keeping with his political beliefs.

"I was an Eisenhower Republican when I started out at 21, because he promised to get us out of the Korean War," Eastwood tells the magazine. "And over the years, I realized there was a Republican philosophy that I liked. And then they lost it. And libertarians had more of it. Because what I really believe is, let's spend a little more time leaving everybody alone."

"J. Edgar" hits theaters on November 9. It's written by Dustin Lance Black ("Milk"), an openly gay screenwriter who has been active in the marriage equality movement.

:alberta: