News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Would embracing gays cost conservatives votes?

Started by Martinus, September 14, 2011, 10:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:19:25 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 06:09:33 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:02:10 PM
Yi should be reminded that the modern GOP loves playing the victim as well.  It's just more absurd when they do so.  Things like the the evil liberal media and the War on Christmas.  In the words of former GOP congresswoman Helen Chenoweth ""It's the white, Anglo-Saxon male that's endangered today."

Yeah, that's been covered already.  And you guys are defining the "victimhood" thing down a bit.  Unless I missed the part where conservatives are trying to get in on the affirmative action gravy train or advocating for special rights for themselves.
You mean like the tax exempt status of churches?
That's a pretty weak attempt.  Their disastrous interpretation of the Second Amendment is a better example.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 06:23:06 PM
But it's public funds flowing into private education, right?  Which means, predominantly, Christian private and home schooling, support for which is often couched in a "my child will be a victim of state propaganda if I let them go to public school" sort of way.

It was the first thing I could think of, so maybe it's not a great example.
Arguing in favor of privatization isn't really the same, because presumably everyone could take their kids out of public school.

I think it's more a 'my child will be the victim of blacks and have Tim for a teacher if I let them go to public school' thing.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:39:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 06:35:41 PM
No, I'm staking my immense Languish reputation for at least some of the appeal of voucher programs is to undermine the teaching of things Conservatives don't like.  Things such as Evolution.  Can't teach creationism in public school, so we shift more government funding to private schools where you can teach kids anything.

Right, but Ide was asking about the gravy train.

This may shock you, but I'm not Ide.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2011, 06:44:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 05:48:09 PM
I thought it was their little subculture and stuff.  I don't see garbon or Habsy or most of the gay guys I know IRL latching on to being victims.

I mean that is not to say they do not have whiny victims but every group does that.

Right and per the victim narrative, I should be the biggest mouth here about victimization seeing as how I'm twice a minority...and yet that doesn't actually pan out.

What can I say, you're special.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 07:34:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2011, 06:44:03 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 05:48:09 PM
I thought it was their little subculture and stuff.  I don't see garbon or Habsy or most of the gay guys I know IRL latching on to being victims.

I mean that is not to say they do not have whiny victims but every group does that.

Right and per the victim narrative, I should be the biggest mouth here about victimization seeing as how I'm twice a minority...and yet that doesn't actually pan out.

What can I say, you're special.

Because I don't feel victimized?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on September 14, 2011, 07:35:22 PM

Because I don't feel victimized?

No, your special for other reasons.  I don't know exactly why. :)

derspiess

Okay, well let me know if you guys come up with any actual examples :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on September 14, 2011, 07:47:19 PM
Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 02:42:51 PMOh don't play coy.  You would think the entire educated establishment is out to destroy them.  There is always a war on this and an attack on that.   The Conservatives are always bemoaning what victims they are to the evil forces of whatever whatever.

Granted that is not all and hopefully not even a majority of Conservatives but you know what he is talking about.  Nobody whines about victimhood like Americans of all stripes.
:mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Valmy

I didn't realize you meant 'wants special deals and stuff' as victimization.  I was thinking of it as an identity thing and a source of political mobilization.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2011, 07:51:56 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 02:42:51 PMOh don't play coy.  You would think the entire educated establishment is out to destroy them.  There is always a war on this and an attack on that.   The Conservatives are always bemoaning what victims they are to the evil forces of whatever whatever.

Granted that is not all and hopefully not even a majority of Conservatives but you know what he is talking about.  Nobody whines about victimhood like Americans of all stripes.
:mellow:

Oh.  Well what did you mean then?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Valmy

See I thought the whole Affirmative Action thing was over 15 years ago with the Hopwood vs. Texas thing.

Faeelin

I'm not sure what a "truce" looks like, or why gays would want it when it's pretty clear they're winning the culture war. 

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 09:33:46 PM

I didn't realize you meant 'wants special deals and stuff' as victimization.  I was thinking of it as an identity thing and a source of political mobilization.

I wonder what special deals gays want?

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 06:23:06 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 14, 2011, 06:20:04 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 06:12:26 PM
Just throwing it out there, education vouchers?

All voucher programs that I've read about are for less than the cost of a public school education.

But it's public funds flowing into private education, right?  Which means, predominantly, Christian private and home schooling, support for which is often couched in a "my child will be a victim of state propaganda if I let them go to public school" sort of way.

Everybody that I've talked to who has sent their children to private school or homeschooled them has talked about it in terms of the incompetence of the public school system, not in ideological or religious terms.