Wikileaks - 2007: UN told to drop ‘Taiwan is part of China’ by US

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2011, 09:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

Valmy

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 10:36:10 PM
Quote from: Zoupa on September 14, 2011, 09:58:45 PM
The religious wars in France also.

Man, I hate that event.  I WAS NICE TO THE PROTESTANTS.

Actually I always thought it was Francis' mistake to tolerate the Calvinists.  Their presence on a massive scale was either going to have them make a bid for power or piss off the Catholics so much as to provoke a backlash...and there was the affair of the Placards and off we went.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on September 14, 2011, 05:07:12 PM
Yeah, Marty is stupid.  It's not American troops in Taiwan that defends the island.  It's the 7th fleet.  I don't think there's even a large US military force in Taiwan.

I'm not sure that there are any US combat troops stationed there.

Valmy

Quote from: dps on September 14, 2011, 11:17:36 PM
Yeah, Marty is stupid.  It's not American troops in Taiwan that defends the island.  It's the 7th fleet.  I don't think there's even a large US military force in Taiwan.

We pulled our troops out and closed our embassy in the 1970s to make our new Red Chinese buddies happy.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 11:20:44 PM

We pulled our troops out and closed our embassy in the 1970s to make our new Red Chinese buddies happy.

:contract:  Martinus' information, like the rest of Poland, is only 40 years behind.  Not so bad, really, when you think about it.  That's quite a bit of progress, actually.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Ideologue

Quote from: Habbaku on September 14, 2011, 11:28:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 14, 2011, 11:20:44 PM

:contract:  Martinus' information, like the rest of Poland, is only 40 years behind.  Not so bad, really, when you think about it.  That's quite a bit of progress, actually.

Yeah, but 40 years ago we had nuclear weapons too.  Maybe the Soviets didn't tell them.

Quote from: ValmyActually I always thought it was Francis' mistake to tolerate the Calvinists.  Their presence on a massive scale was either going to have them make a bid for power or piss off the Catholics so much as to provoke a backlash...and there was the affair of the Placards and off we went.

I don't actually remember anything about the War of Religion other than it forcibly disintegrates my country, no matter how many Frances worth of "aggrieved noblemen" I exterminate, and I stopped reading event texts a decade ago. :P

Sometimes I just straight up went Calvinist, though, because it renders the Dutch, Swiss, and Scots targetable, and it's fun to pretend.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Zoupa

I always went counter-reform, as any good frog would. 

Tuez les tous :sleep:

Razgovory

There might be some on vacation.  There really is no reason to have combat soldiers there.  The Navy is sufficent to keep the Chicoms out.  As John Jervis the Earl of St. Vincent once said "I do not say, my Lords, that the French will not come. I say only they will not come by sea."
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: Zoupa on September 15, 2011, 12:13:20 AM
I always went counter-reform, as any good frog would. 

Tuez les tous :sleep:

I always forget about CRC.  Like, I was playing an Austria game earlier today and it didn't occur to me to go CRC and get CBs against all those asshole Lutheran Germans till the game started hitting me over the head with the fact that I was supposed to be interfering with their way of life.

I'm a selfish editor, too.  Had to add an option B to that bullshit with Karl's will.  I diploannexed Burgundy, that shit is mine, old man.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Razgovory on September 15, 2011, 12:21:23 AM

There might be some on vacation.  There really is no reason to have combat soldiers there.  The Navy is sufficent to keep the Chicoms out.  As John Jervis the Earl of St. Vincent once said "I do not say, my Lords, that the French will not come. I say only they will not come by sea."

Can the Chunnel be collapsed to prevent Unterseelowe?
Kinemalogue

Camerus

Quote from: Berkut on September 14, 2011, 01:59:29 PM
If China started making noise about taking over South Korea, that would be about as legit as them taking over Taiwan in any actual practical sense.

Not really.  China's claim on Taiwan is a lot more legitimate than a claim on S.Korea would be.

Camerus

Quote from: Brazen on September 14, 2011, 07:33:16 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 14, 2011, 02:57:38 AM
Is the existence of an independent Taiwan really of fundamental strategic importance to the US?  At what point do the drawbacks of supporting the RoC against the PRC outweigh the benefits?  I would posit that the threshold is not very high.
US arms sales to Taiwan, which China is rather unhappy about.

I suspect you misread my post - or else I'm missing something - because I can't make heads or tails of your response.

Ideologue

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 15, 2011, 03:00:28 AM
If China started making noise about taking over South Korea, that would be about as legit as them taking over Taiwan in any actual practical sense.

Not really.  China's claim on Taiwan is a lot more legitimate than a claim on S.Korea would be.

My claim to be an heir to the throne of Spain is more legitimate than my claim to the throne of Russia, too, I guess.
Kinemalogue

Camerus

Quote from: Ideologue on September 15, 2011, 03:23:05 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 15, 2011, 03:00:28 AM

My claim to be an heir to the throne of Spain is more legitimate than my claim to the throne of Russia, too, I guess.

Perhaps.  And China's claim to Taiwan is fantastically more legitimate than both of those.

Maximus

Taiwan has never been part of the PRC, and is not the government of choice of most of its citizens. I don't see how the PRC has any claim to Taiwan stronger than "because we want it".