Wikileaks - 2007: UN told to drop ‘Taiwan is part of China’ by US

Started by jimmy olsen, September 13, 2011, 09:51:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 14, 2011, 02:57:38 AM
Is the existence of an independent Taiwan really of fundamental strategic importance to the US?  At what point do the drawbacks of supporting the RoC against the PRC outweigh the benefits?  I would posit that the threshold is not very high.
US arms sales to Taiwan, which China is rather unhappy about.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 14, 2011, 07:12:22 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 14, 2011, 03:03:38 AM
We should support Taiwan's independence on the principle of the matter.
Taiwan's not declared independence and they don't want it.  One China!
I think they do, they're just worried about upsetting the PRC. The only reason Taiwan still keeps its claims on the continent is if it  gets rid of them it is pretty much declaring independance which will annoy the reds.
██████
██████
██████

dps

Quote from: Brazen on September 14, 2011, 07:33:16 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 14, 2011, 02:57:38 AM
Is the existence of an independent Taiwan really of fundamental strategic importance to the US?  At what point do the drawbacks of supporting the RoC against the PRC outweigh the benefits?  I would posit that the threshold is not very high.
US arms sales to Taiwan, which China is rather unhappy about.

Not sure what you mean here.  Are you saying that those arms sales are of fundamental strategic importance to the US?  If that's it, I can't agree with that at all.  Or are you saying that the drawback of the PRC being unhappy about American arm sales to Taiwan is enough to outweigh any advantages we gain from backing Taiwan?  I don't really buy that either.

Ideologue

No kidding.  Supporting the RoC, and more abstractly democracy and liberty, is an end in itself, you cynics.

When did Europe become the isolationist branch of Western civilization?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on September 14, 2011, 11:21:39 AM
No kidding.  Supporting the RoC, and more abstractly democracy and liberty, is an end in itself, you cynics.

When did Europe become the isolationist branch of Western civilization?

Agree.  I'd be less inclined to support the RoC if it was some sort of military dictatorship/basket case, but they have blossomed into a genuine democracy.  That's worth supporting.  Incidentally I think the Nixon solution to the RoC-PRC problem was probably the most brilliant diplomatic move of the last century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Quote from: Martinus on September 14, 2011, 03:04:18 AM
Why is it very good? What's the point of supporting one cronyist cleptocratic country against another?

You really are a clueless cretin.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I always find discussion like this just bizarre.

It is total doublespeak.

The reality is that Taiwan is a separate and soverein nation from China. Whether China wants to admit it, and whether Taiwan wants to admit it, that is the reality.

I don't know why people who are not involved in the political game of pretending like Taiwan is or is not sovereign insist on pretending like it is more than a game.

Supporting one over the other? huh?

There is no question of supporting Taiwan over China - last I checked Taiwan was not planning or threatening to invade China and remove their government, at least not for the last several decades. There is no equivalence between the two when it comes to the issue. If China started making noise about taking over South Korea, that would be about as legit as them taking over Taiwan in any actual practical sense.

Would people say "Meh, what do I care about South Korea for?" in that case? Hell, maybe they would, but at least then it would be simple honest "I don't give a shit" rather than some kind of bizarro buying into the doublespeak that claims that Taiwan doesn't really exist.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy

Quote from: Berkut on September 14, 2011, 01:59:29 PM
I always find discussion like this just bizarre.

It is total doublespeak.

The reality is that Taiwan is a separate and soverein nation from China. Whether China wants to admit it, and whether Taiwan wants to admit it, that is the reality.

I don't know why people who are not involved in the political game of pretending like Taiwan is or is not sovereign insist on pretending like it is more than a game.

Eh convenient agreed upon fiction is the very basis of so many international agreements why does this one offend you so much?  If peace and positive relations are preserved by this fiction what difference does it make?  Sort of like how NATO is an alliance of equals.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Quote from: Ideologue on September 13, 2011, 10:03:39 PM
Mainland China is a renegade province.

The seat of the Dragon Throne is in mainland China... he who sits in it rules legitimately.

The Brain

Quote from: PRC on September 14, 2011, 02:53:09 PM

The seat of the Dragon Throne is in mainland China... he who sits in it rules legitimately.

A little person?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

The Kuomintang should have taken it with them when they left.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

China has a better claim on Taiwan than Tibet. But it's a lot harder to get a carrier group to the Himalayas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 14, 2011, 03:01:26 PM
China has a better claim on Taiwan than Tibet. But it's a lot harder to get a carrier group to the Himalayas.
The PRC Ministry that deals with Taiwan is the same that deals with Hong Kong and Macau.  I think as long as everyone keeps the fiction going Taiwan, like the SAR, are kind-of geese that lay the golden egg.  Tibet's a lot less economically useful whatever its status.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Does the Party sit on a throne now?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Well, their surging economy suggests they've held the Mandate of Heaven ever since Mao died.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?