News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In-laws

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 08, 2011, 11:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

I'm interested in the phenomenon of "in-laws."  It seems like there is definitely a cultural trope, at least in the US, that people hate/can't stand their in-laws.  I guess there is a certain amount of unavoidable awkwardness in being the stranger inducted into a new social group with its own deep ties and unique traditions, and being judged for worthiness. 
It also seems like women tend to have the harder time dealing with in-laws, the classic story of being judged for not being a good wife, stealing Mommy's little boy, etc.  Whereas you get more popular narratives of the husband winning over his father-in-law by doing manly activities together.

But it must be a weird sensation to be actively disliked by the parents (and/or family) of one's spouse.  :hmm:

What I find really weird is when two sets of in-laws spend significant time together.  It just strikes me as uncomfortable for some reason.Maybe just because my two sets of grandparents were separated by what was a pretty sharp ethnic divide for their generation/neighborhood.

Is this true for the married/partnered Languishites?  Do you like your in-laws?  Or how did the parents of any of us deal with it?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Habsburg

I really liked the in-laws (parents) of both my partners.

CountDeMoney

QuoteWhereas you get more popular narratives of the husband winning over his father-in-law by doing manly activities together.

"I love banging your daughter in the ass and making her cry when she cums.  Now let's go fishing."

jimmy olsen

In Korea the mother inlaw is all powerful and the wife/s of her son/s must obey her in all things.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2011, 12:14:47 AM
QuoteWhereas you get more popular narratives of the husband winning over his father-in-law by doing manly activities together.

"I love banging your daughter in the ass and making her cry when she cums.  Now let's go fishing."
:D

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2011, 01:04:54 AM
In Korea the mother inlaw is all powerful and the wife/s of her son/s must obey her in all things.

Isn't that the way in all of East Asia?  Probably why so many East Asians try to land husbands in the West.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Martinus

Quote from: Razgovory on September 09, 2011, 01:36:16 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on September 09, 2011, 01:04:54 AM

Isn't that the way in all of East Asia?  Probably why so many East Asians try to land husbands in the West.

They do? I thought they are just not marrying.

dps

I don't have any particular trouble with my in-laws, and for the most part my wife and my mom get along OK, though there are times they get on each others nerves. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 09, 2011, 12:14:47 AM

When visiting, nailing her in her old bedroom.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

I like my in-laws. They are batshit insane religious people but I like them none the less.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2011, 07:09:00 AM
I like my in-laws. They are batshit insane religious people but I like them none the less.

Same here. My inlaws are famously batshit insane religious. They have always been good to me though.

The real trouble comes from my parents, who are more than slightly snobby about them - they obviously consider my wife's parents a pair of ignorant superstitious peasants, and hardly bother to hide it. My wife picks up on this, and it is all the more galling because it's sorta true.

However, my family has a tradition of self-reliance and though they have plenty of money they have never offered to help us out on any occasion (and nor would I expect them to! I share their notions). OTOH, my inlaws are very generous and I have had to keep fending off their offers to help on occasion. So my wife considers my family a bunch of miserly tightwads as well as snobs. 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

How religious?

My in-laws, before the crowd goes crazy these arent real in-laws I am not married, are church twice a week, pray before dinner, quote the bible at most opportunity, missionary work in Haiti religious.

Altho, they tell me they have mellowed with age & newly born grandkids.

You might believe in self-sufficience like your parents but you came across as very generous & were when I visited in '09.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on September 09, 2011, 10:07:21 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2011, 07:09:00 AM

Same here. My inlaws are famously batshit insane religious. They have always been good to me though.

The real trouble comes from my parents, who are more than slightly snobby about them - they obviously consider my wife's parents a pair of ignorant superstitious peasants, and hardly bother to hide it. My wife picks up on this, and it is all the more galling because it's sorta true.

However, my family has a tradition of self-reliance and though they have plenty of money they have never offered to help us out on any occasion (and nor would I expect them to! I share their notions). OTOH, my inlaws are very generous and I have had to keep fending off their offers to help on occasion. So my wife considers my family a bunch of miserly tightwads as well as snobs. 
that was insightful.  There are some things I now understand better...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

My mother-in-law is awesome.  I have never met my father-in-law and that works fine for me as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2011, 10:30:57 AM
How religious?

My in-laws, before the crowd goes crazy these arent real in-laws I am not married, are church twice a week, pray before dinner, quote the bible at most opportunity, missionary work in Haiti religious.

Altho, they tell me they have mellowed with age & newly born grandkids.
Ah, I remember my aunt.  My grandfather was a deeply religious man.  Never worked on a Sunday unless permission was granted by a priest.  All the stuff you inlaws do, minus the missionary work.  So, my aunt decided to bring a French boyfriend home.  Unmarried, in the same room.  My grandpa kicked the dude, downstairs.  Never saw that guy again.  30 years later, it's making my father laugh everytime he thinks of it.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.