And we're back!

Main Menu

In-laws

Started by Capetan Mihali, September 08, 2011, 11:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Personally, I get along fine with my in-laws.  I really like my father-in-law and we have a lot of shared interests (shooting, geneaology, conspiracy theories)... we used to not see him and my stepmother-in-law very often, despite living in the same town, but that's been changing lately.

My other mother-in-law can get on my nerves what with her wacko religious beliefs, but we get along ok and for some reason she worships me.

Princesca gets along really well with my dad.  My mom... er... that's a different story, but much better than it used to be.

Maximus

Caliga

:mad:  I hereby revoke your German heritage.

viper37

Thank God I'm not German.  Though I think my grandma used to make these.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

:hmm: I guess shoofly pie is kind of like that sugar pie thing you Canucks enjoy.

Maximus

Quote from: Caliga on September 10, 2011, 05:49:58 AM
:hmm: I guess shoofly pie is kind of like that sugar pie thing you Canucks enjoy.
:huh:
Never heard of it. What's wrong with people? Sugar isn't a flavour.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2011, 08:21:00 PM
Personally, I get along fine with my in-laws.  I really like my father-in-law and we have a lot of shared interests (shooting, geneaology, conspiracy theories)...
:yeahright:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Maximus on September 10, 2011, 09:23:42 AM
It's a molasses pie IIRC.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

the shoofly pie is apparently a molasse pie, from what I read in Wikipedia.  It would be called "mollasse pie" here, but I don't think you would find this in any restaurant.  Every single restaurant has sugar pie on its menu, though.  I used to like sugar pie (made with brown sugar), but I have an harder time tolerating that much sugar nowadays.

I have no idea if the recipe for "mollasse pie" is the same for a shoofly pie, I may have eaten this once or twice whan I was a kid.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on September 10, 2011, 09:23:42 AM

It's brown sugar and milk, mostly.

Martinus

LOL Malthus, just read your post. Wtf. I'm from a catholic country and never seen anything like that. Sounds like a Christian version of 120 days of Sodom.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on September 09, 2011, 08:17:51 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on September 09, 2011, 01:14:33 PM
I bet Max's folks bake wonderful pies.
:yes: Shoofly pie. :mmm:

It is about time I get get some. When I go to the winery later this month I'll get some from the nearby Amish.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 10:07:29 AM
LOL Malthus, just read your post. Wtf. I'm from a catholic country and never seen anything like that. Sounds like a Christian version of 120 days of Sodom.

Her parents aren't just Catholic, they belong to some sect of Catholicism that thinks the Church is corrupt because it is too liberal and because it doesn't approve of some of the folk miracle-mongering that these people go in for.

They are, literally, 'more Catholic than the Pope'.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on September 10, 2011, 01:50:50 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 10, 2011, 10:07:29 AM

Her parents aren't just Catholic, they belong to some sect of Catholicism that thinks the Church is corrupt because it is too liberal and because it doesn't approve of some of the folk miracle-mongering that these people go in for.

They are, literally, 'more Catholic than the Pope'.  :lol:
so they're protestants in denial? :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.