News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

In honour of Habsburg's return

Started by crazy canuck, August 24, 2011, 12:32:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

A brief film review of Sophie Scholl - The Final Days.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

I highly recommend it.  The dialogue is pulled in part from the gestapo transcripts of her interrogation.  An increcidibly moving display of courage in the face of evil and certain death.

You can watch it on netflicks.   

The Brain

The final days before she got into footcare products?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on August 24, 2011, 01:21:04 PM
The final days before she got into footcare products?

Did the Nazis let women be doctors?  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

crazy canuck

Ironically she was training to be a nurse and her brother was training to be a doctor.

Habsburg

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 24, 2011, 12:32:26 PM
A brief film review of Sophie Scholl - The Final Days.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

I highly recommend it.  The dialogue is pulled in part from the gestapo transcripts of her interrogation.  An increcidibly moving display of courage in the face of evil and certain death.

You can watch it on netflicks.

Excellent film.  Top notch turn by Julia Jentsch in the lead role (my runner-up for 2005.)

Good taste CC!

Drakken

The best part was the actor who played Raving Roland, especially since the trial transcripts assuredly weren't indicating where Freisler would start get his usual hammy performance, yelling, screaming and bellowing at the accused.

The real trial lasted only slightly longer than what is shown in the movie, they were sentenced the next day, and beheaded within hours. The People's Court sure was efficient.

Habsburg

Contagion, Soderbergh

A near excellent first half, engrossing with lots of tension, falls flat in it's second half.  Once the pandemic swings into force the screenplay sets into middlebrowdom.  The questions brought forth are settled (or not settled) in a rather sloppy manner.

Production values are top notch, and make watching this on the big screen worthwhile.  The characters put forth don't require much, but Jennifer Ehle, Kate Winslet, and Matt Damon rise above the material.  Marion Cottilard is pretty!!

Worth a matinee watch for the first half alone.

Habsburg

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 11, 2011, 09:06:09 AM
thanks for the tip.

With a director like Soderbergh, you will get your dollars worth.  And he keeps it fast moving and slick.  My main problem is with the screenplay in the second half.  And the coda.  :bleeding:

jimmy olsen

Who's you favorite Hapsburg and why?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?