Why the gun industry secretly loves Obama

Started by jimmy olsen, September 05, 2011, 06:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 06, 2011, 03:25:23 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:52:05 PM
I'd suggest you're trying to compare apples and oranges hand grenades.

Apples with those little MI6 spy cameras inside.

Now you're confusing them with rocks.  :ph34r:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 03:24:01 PM
Quote from: frunk on September 06, 2011, 03:18:21 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 02:57:34 PM
Why not?

You're just as unlikely to need a gun as you are a seatbelt, but I bet that doesn't stop you from buckling up.  :P

I think you are quite a bit more likely to need a seatbelt than a gun.  There might be just as many deaths from car accidents as from firearms, but that's a very different matter and doesn't measure the efficacy of seatbelts at preventing death in a car accident.  Not to mention the largest part of gun deaths in the US are from suicide, with a much, much smaller number of vehicular deaths from the same.

True. The point is that just because it's really unlikely doesn't make us not take the precautions.

It appears more Americans die in gun accidents, per 100,00 pop, than are killed in the UK by guns from all causes; so it appears being prepared or taking precautions imposes its own additional costs.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

On pure utilitarian grounds, there isn't much honest debate to be had.  Guns aren't nuclear weapons, they don't lead to mutually assured destruction such that no one ever thinks to use them.

If gun ownership is to be successfully defended, it should be defended on freedom grounds.  Being allowed to own a death-dealing weapon is a freedom, and all freedoms increase the potential for damage to oneself and others.

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2011, 04:20:55 PM
On pure utilitarian grounds, there isn't much honest debate to be had.  Guns aren't nuclear weapons, they don't lead to mutually assured destruction such that no one ever thinks to use them.

If gun ownership is to be successfully defended, it should be defended on freedom grounds.  Being allowed to own a death-dealing weapon is a freedom, and all freedoms increase the potential for damage to oneself and others.

That's primarily why I'm fairly progun.  It's in the constitution and I don't like chiseling away at rights enumerated in the Constitution.  Most people I know who own guns are like Derspeis or Cal or Ed.  They collect guns and enjoy shooting them.  Perhaps they go hunting during the season or use them to kill vermin.  They have them in the unlikely occasion they are needed for self-defense.  I see little problem with that.  There should perhaps be a few limits.  You shouldn't let someone like me own a gun or someone with a felony conviction.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 03:36:25 PM
When a gun is used in self-defense, there are two side effects: death to the bad guy and lack of death to you.

Now imagine you are in a crowded, lurching subway car, and a dozen people pull their guns in "self-defense".  What side effect then?
This is why NYC doesn't do conceal carry.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:59:42 PM

Swedish Mauser from 1902
Lee-Enfield .303 from the '50s.
Korean War-era M1 Garand
Japanese Arisaka (and sword bayonet)

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

Browning Pro-9
Sig 220
M1911
Bersa 380
Custom Mauser in 358 Norma
CZ550 7x64
Ruger M77 7x57
Sporterized M1903
Sporterized M1898
Winchester Mod 94 (32 WIN)
Rem Mod 11 (20 GA)
Custom Interarms Mark X (338 Mag)
Interarms Mark X (7mm Mag)
Colt 1862 (38 Long Colt)
Rem New Army (45 Long Colt)
Schofield
1849 Pocket Pistol (32 S&W)
SW Mod 66 3 inch Nickel
Side by Side 12 GA

There might be some others that are laying around that I forgot at the moment
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 02:24:10 PM
Sig p229
Do you like this one?  My arms dealer has one of these, and though I was probably going to pick up a Glock 19 from her, I want to look at the other options too (the third one being a Beretta of some mark or another).

Right now, my list is:

SIG 522

:blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:59:42 PM
Japanese Arisaka (and sword bayonet)
Where did you get the rifle?  I've got an Arisaka sword bayonet too, and it'd be nice to have the rifle to fit it to.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Caliga on September 06, 2011, 06:05:59 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 02:24:10 PM
Sig p229
Do you like this one?  My arms dealer has one of these, and though I was probably going to pick up a Glock 19 from her, I want to look at the other options too (the third one being a Beretta of some mark or another).

Right now, my list is:

SIG 522

:blush:

Yes, I really like it. It's a .40
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

CountDeMoney

S&W Model 19/66 stainless .357 Magnum 2 1/4" barrel (preferred carry)
EAA .45 ported Witness (piece o' shit, but goes boom)
My father's blued .38 Colt Detective Special, older than I am, but in much better shape
Walther P-38, circa 1944, Werhmacht stamps and armament codes match, sold to my grandfather by a German merchant marine he knew in 1947)
Mossberg 500, pistol grip and collapsing stock

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 06, 2011, 09:23:46 PM
S&W Model 19/66 stainless .357 Magnum 2 1/4" barrel (preferred carry)
EAA .45 ported Witness (piece o' shit, but goes boom)
My father's blued .38 Colt Detective Special, older than I am, but in much better shape
Walther P-38, circa 1944, Werhmacht stamps and armament codes match, sold to my grandfather by a German merchant marine he knew in 1947)
Mossberg 500, pistol grip and collapsing stock

I dont own a Moss 500, but it's one of two long arms I have in the patrol car. I like it.

The Brain

Do you guys hide your guns when chicks come around? Or are the chicks you date into this whole manchild thing?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Quote from: The Brain on September 07, 2011, 03:41:56 AM
Do you guys hide your guns when chicks come around? Or are the chicks you date into this whole manchild thing?
You talkin to me? :huh: