Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2011, 10:55:25 AM
For the contest, I haz:

AK-47
SKS-M
Walther PPK
Beretta 9mm
.38 police service revolver
12 gauge Remington shotty

Are you trying to reshoot old Bond movies?

The Walther makes for a good conceal carry weapon.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Ed Anger on September 06, 2011, 10:49:18 AM
I wonder who the biggest gun owner on languish is?

We need to compare gun wangs.

As fate would have it, I found a gun in the house today. I think it's an old Colt 38 revolver.  Handle is chipped, but otherwise it looks to be in decent condition.  My guess is that it belonged to my Great Grand father who was a sheriff (and later prison warden).  I had thought my mother sold all the old weapons in the family after my Grandma died (they looked like old trophy weapons.  Japanese sword, German WWI rifle).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

MadImmortalMan

I have:

Sig p229

S&W 1911 .45ACP

12 gauge Remington

Ruger .357magnum (wife's gun)

That's it.

Oh, and a 1200fps air rifle with a scope and silencer for waging war against the evil Quail Imperium.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

This thread bemuses me, I live in a country where it's not necessary for most civilians to own weapons.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:41:47 PM
This thread bemuses me, I live in a country where it's not necessary for most civilians to own weapons.  :cool:

I guess constant photographic surveillance of the citizenry by the central government does make things more secure.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Habbaku

What a coincidence; I also live in a country where it's not necessary for most civilians to own weapons.  :)
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:45:12 PM

What a coincidence; I also live in a country where it's not necessary for most civilians to own weapons.  :)

Which country is that ?

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 06, 2011, 02:43:57 PM

I guess constant photographic surveillance of the citizenry by the central government does make things more secure.

Actually the survey that first originated that statistic has now been thoroughly debunked, so it's not clear where the UK stands, though I'd guess fairly high up.

However iirc most CCTV systems aren't monitored and the tapes are often recycled in ineffectively short time periods.

Besides, I'm not too worried by a overly intrusive government as compared with the inherent dangers of an armed population; over on this side of the pond, I wouldn't trust anyone I know with a gun, saving the farmers.

I'd suggest you're trying to compare apples and oranges hand grenades. 

mongers

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:48:46 PM
The USA .

So why do so many of you have military fire arms ?

Because we can, we enjoy sports associated with them and also appreciate the ease of self-defense with them, among other reasons .  But gun ownership has never been necessary in the USA . Was it ever necessary in the UK ?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

MadImmortalMan

Why not?

You're just as unlikely to need a gun as you are a seatbelt, but I bet that doesn't stop you from buckling up.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:54:30 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:48:46 PM
The USA .

So why do so many of you have military fire arms ?

Because we can, we enjoy sports associated with them and also appreciate the ease of self-defense with them, among other reasons.

Throughout the course of an American's lifetime who often or what are the percentage chances that the individual will need to defend themselves with a firearm ?