Why the gun industry secretly loves Obama

Started by jimmy olsen, September 05, 2011, 06:18:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:48:46 PM
The USA .

So why do so many of you have military fire arms ?
Because 6 inches is just the average, there is significant variance.

Habbaku

I think I'm winning the race in terms of number owned, by the way.  I don't recall off-hand what all I have but some are as follows :

Ruger LCP (.380)
Swedish Mauser from 1902
Lee-Enfield .303 from the '50s.
Korean War-era M1 Garand
Japanese Arisaka (and sword bayonet)
AK-47 (WASR-10, Romanian)
Nagant revolver (.32 and .38)
1934 Beretta 9MM
MAS 49/56
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:57:36 PM
Throughout the course of an American's lifetime who often or what are the percentage chances that the individual will need to defend themselves with a firearm ?

Incredibly low, depending on where one lives .  Why do you ask ?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

mongers

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 03:00:36 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:57:36 PM
Throughout the course of an American's lifetime who often or what are the percentage chances that the individual will need to defend themselves with a firearm ?

Incredibly low, depending on where one lives .  Why do you ask ?

See your previous post.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 02:57:34 PM
Why not?

You're just as unlikely to need a gun as you are a seatbelt, but I bet that doesn't stop you from buckling up.  :P

I think you are much more likely to need a seatbelt then a gun.  I've been in several car accidents and no gun fights or home invasions.  That said, I don't really have any problem with people owning guns.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2011, 02:58:10 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:52:42 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:48:46 PM
The USA .

So why do so many of you have military fire arms ?

Sounds really sad that need dictates your consumption. :(

Yeah, I can see your point; it's time the federal government stop restricting peoples access to poisons, if they want to collect them.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

frunk

Why not?

You're just as unlikely to need a gun as you are a seatbelt, but I bet that doesn't stop you from buckling up.  :P

I think you are quite a bit more likely to need a seatbelt than a gun.  There might be just as many deaths from car accidents as from firearms, but that's a very different matter and doesn't measure the efficacy of seatbelts at preventing death in a car accident.  Not to mention the largest part of gun deaths in the US are from suicide, with a much, much smaller number of vehicular deaths from the same.

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 03:04:01 PM
Yeah, I can see your point; it's time the federal government stop restricting peoples access to poisons, if they want to collect them.

As far as I know, there are hundreds of poisons that one can buy without any sort of restriction.  Clorox sells all sorts of dangerous chemicals.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: frunk on September 06, 2011, 03:18:21 PM
Why not?

I think you are quite a bit more likely to need a seatbelt than a gun.  There might be just as many deaths from car accidents as from firearms, but that's a very different matter and doesn't measure the efficacy of seatbelts at preventing death in a car accident.  Not to mention the largest part of gun deaths in the US are from suicide, with a much, much smaller number of vehicular deaths from the same.

True. The point is that just because it's really unlikely doesn't make us not take the precautions.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 02:52:05 PM
I'd suggest you're trying to compare apples and oranges hand grenades.

Apples with those little MI6 spy cameras inside.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Habbaku on September 06, 2011, 02:59:42 PM
I think I'm winning the race in terms of number owned, by the way.  I don't recall off-hand what all I have but some are as follows :

Ruger LCP (.380)
Swedish Mauser from 1902
Lee-Enfield .303 from the '50s.
Korean War-era M1 Garand
Japanese Arisaka (and sword bayonet)
AK-47 (WASR-10, Romanian)
Nagant revolver (.32 and .38)
1934 Beretta 9MM
MAS 49/56

Habs meanwhile is all set to film a Van Johnson war pic.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on September 06, 2011, 03:19:48 PM
Quote from: mongers on September 06, 2011, 03:04:01 PM

As far as I know, there are hundreds of poisons that one can buy without any sort of restriction.  Clorox sells all sorts of dangerous chemicals.
Of course, the difference between Clorox and cars on one hand, and guns on the other hand, is that death is a side-effect rather than the main function of those items.

frunk

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on September 06, 2011, 03:24:01 PM
True. The point is that just because it's really unlikely doesn't make us not take the precautions.

Point taken, but I think these two items have wildly different likelihoods so may not make for the best of comparisons.  I'm willing to bet that just about everyone on this board has been in at least one car accident at some point, with most of them in multiple.  I would be very surprised, apart from those in military service, police work or other work situations where violence is likely, if more than a quarter of the board members had ever been in a situation where having a gun would have been an asset.  I myself have been in 7 car accidents, and in all but one of them wearing a seatbelt saved me from injury or death.  I've never had an encounter that would have gone better if I was carrying a firearm.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: DGuller on September 06, 2011, 03:34:01 PM
Of course, the difference between Clorox and cars on one hand, and guns on the other hand, is that death is a side-effect rather than the main function of those items.

When a gun is used in self-defense, there are two side effects: death to the bad guy and lack of death to you.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers