News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Humans are fucking stupid

Started by The Brain, September 02, 2011, 06:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Quote from: Slargos on September 04, 2011, 09:48:09 AM
I don't have a problem with stupid people per se. I know plenty of idiots who can barely tie their own shoelaces but whom can still manage to be quite insightful nonetheless. In addition, it's possible to be stupid but still a good person.

The dangerous and annoying people are the fundamentalists, fanatics and elitists, and they come in all varieties. Many of them with a sense of entitlement blown far out of proportion to their individual value.

Never thought I'd say this, but ... I entirely agree with you.  :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2011, 09:54:47 AM
I don't have a problem with stupid people per se. I know plenty of idiots who can barely tie their own shoelaces but whom can still manage to be quite insightful nonetheless. In addition, it's possible to be stupid but still a good person.

The dangerous and annoying people are the fundamentalists, fanatics and elitists, and they come in all varieties. Many of them with a sense of entitlement blown far out of proportion to their individual value.
I don't know about that, I haven't noticed much insight coming from Slargos.  :hmm:

Slargos

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2011, 09:54:47 AM

Pfft. You've said the same thing before, so either you have a very short memory or you're getting existential in your old age.  :D

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 04, 2011, 09:09:49 AM
I think all self-identifying intellectuals have felt an immature sense of superiority over their fellow humans...

FYP.

Not just "intellectuals", many very ordinary and average people have that sense. Somebody with pretensions of intellect is unlikely to use the phrase "here's your sign".
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

Quote from: mongers on September 04, 2011, 09:17:31 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on September 04, 2011, 09:09:49 AM
I think all self-identifying intellectuals have felt an immature sense of superiority over their fellow humans...

FYP.

Yeah.  Most people believe they are above average in intelligence.  Curiously, the dumber someone is, the more likely they will think they are more intelligent then average.  Illusory superiority is an interesting concept.  And there is no better place to find it then an online forum.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2011, 11:11:06 AM
Curiously, the dumber someone is, the more likely they will think they are more intelligent then average.

link?

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 04, 2011, 11:13:46 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 04, 2011, 11:11:06 AM
Curiously, the dumber someone is, the more likely they will think they are more intelligent then average.

link?

Okay, let me look for a moment.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb03/overestimate.aspx  There's a lot more stuff.  This is more about competence.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

That seems to agree with you halfway. It says people with low scores were more likely to overestimate their scores, not that people with low scores were more likely to think their scores were high.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on September 04, 2011, 02:52:38 AM
Are you going to shoot up some place, Brain?

Edit: Same with Syt. That sounded like a Unabomber rant.

That would presume I want to change people. While other people tend to go on my nerves they should still live their life as they like, even if I don't like their choices.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

I have a problem with slow people....
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

I have a problem with people (usually they are middle aged or elderly women) who take goddamn ages at the cash register.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on September 04, 2011, 12:29:21 PM
I have a problem with people (usually they are middle aged or elderly women) who take goddamn ages at the cash register.
Them.  Especially at places like Starbucks.  The people who stop at the end of an escalator (WHY?).  Slow people on pavements in busy areas (tourists, the elderly and love-bugs I'm looking at you <_<).  All of them <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Tonitrus

People (usually moms and/or the elderly) who tie up the self-checkout lanes at grocery stores with a giant cart of 30+ items (including produce that has to be weighed), while handling distracting children and then paying with cash and counting out each individual coin because they don't want to get change....should be shot on sight by automated machine guns.

Ed Anger

You babies will survive your harrowing checkout.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 04, 2011, 12:32:31 PM
The people who stop at the end of an escalator (WHY?).

They're scary.  You can get sucked under and ground to death in their gears.  IT'S HAPPENED.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)