News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Joy of Motherhood

Started by Korea, April 22, 2009, 12:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

vinraith

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2009, 12:38:14 PM
Quote from: Korea on April 22, 2009, 12:36:52 PM
I'm never having babies, thank you very much.  -_-
You'll change your mind once you hit 30.

She may not. Let's not forget Idiocracy.

Malthus

Quote from: lustindarkness on April 22, 2009, 12:50:42 PM
Yeah, by then she might even meet Mr. Right.

I predicted that comment.  :smarty:

Alternative jibe: find one that knows where sperm is supposed to go.  :P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

jimmy olsen

Quote from: vinraith on April 22, 2009, 12:54:26 PM

I haven't seen the movie but imagined that must of the folks in there had tons of kids.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

vinraith

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 22, 2009, 01:03:53 PM
Quote from: vinraith on April 22, 2009, 12:54:26 PM

I haven't seen the movie but imagined that must of the folks in there had tons of kids.

The underlying thesis is that smart people don't reproduce, whereas dumbasses reproduce like rabbits.

Malthus

Quote from: vinraith on April 22, 2009, 01:22:59 PM

The underlying thesis is that smart people don't reproduce, whereas dumbasses reproduce like rabbits.

The Marching Morons thesis.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

vinraith

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2009, 01:26:45 PM

Exactly, except in Idiocracy there's no one holding things together.

Malthus

Quote from: vinraith on April 22, 2009, 01:44:54 PM
Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2009, 01:26:45 PM

Exactly, except in Idiocracy there's no one holding things together.

That doesn't work so well - without an overclass of smart people holding shit together, you would start to get evolutionary pressure again (i.e. things would get so bad that the dumb will start to die off).

garbon

Who is the smart person in this scenario?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2009, 02:00:49 PM
Who is the smart person in this scenario?

I take it you disagree with this thesis.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

You can definitely make an argument that smart people who don't reproduce are not so smart on an evolutionary level.  (Not that an individual person should really be concerned with it.)  Creating your spawn is kind of the first requirement of being an evolutionary success.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 02:03:16 PM
I take it you disagree with this thesis.

No, that wasn't the aim of my barb.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2009, 02:12:56 PM
No, that wasn't the aim of my barb.

Oh then I didn't understand your barb.  You agree with the thesis under certain definitions of intelligence?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Martinus

The Marching Morons thesis doesn't seem to work in a long run, based on a historical experience, though, does it? Sure it does seem like this is the case in a short run, but the progress keeps happening and, at least in the West, living conditions (in every meaning of the word) have been (save for an anomaly like a war or nazism) consistently improving for centuries.

I think the Marching Morons thesis seems to place too much importance on things like intelligence, values and opinions being hereditary in a biological/genetical sense, within a family unit. They are hereditary, but more in a cultural sense - and culture is being produced mainly by smart and creative people.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 02:15:43 PM
Oh then I didn't understand your barb.  You agree with the thesis under certain definitions of intelligence?

Tim said : You'll change your mind when you hit 30 (i.e. Korea will want to have / have kids)
Vinnie said: Not necessarily, recall the movie Idiocracy. (i.e. smart people don't want to have kids, therefore as Korea is smart, her opinion may not change)
Me: Who is the smart person in this scenario (in other words: Does Korea will qualify as smart?)

:(