News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How remote is our world?

Started by Grey Fox, April 22, 2009, 07:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg20227041.500-wheres-the-remotest-place-on-earth.html

QuoteSO YOU'VE hitch-hiked through Central America, stalked rare beasts in Madagascar and trekked your way through northern Chile. You're pretty well travelled, even if you do say so yourself. Before you get ideas about being an intrepid explorer, however, consider this. For all their wide open spaces and seeming wildernesses, none of these places can be described as remote in 2009.

In fact, very little of the world's land can now be thought of as inaccessible, according to a new map of connectedness created by researchers at the European Commission's Joint Research Centre in Ispra, Italy, and the World Bank.

Explore the maps

The maps are based on a model which calculated how long it would take to travel to the nearest city of 50,000 or more people by land or water. The model combines information on terrain and access to road, rail and river networks (see the maps). It also considers how factors such as altitude, steepness of terrain and hold-ups like border crossings slow travel.

Plotted onto a map, the results throw up surprises. First, less than 10 per cent of the world's land is more than 48 hours of ground-based travel from the nearest city. What's more, many areas considered remote and inaccessible are not as far from civilisation as you might think. In the Amazon, for example, extensive river networks and an increasing number of roads mean that only 20 per cent of the land is more than two days from a city - around the same proportion as Canada's Quebec province.

China's flourishing export trade is clearly seen, with some of the world's busiest shipping lanes
The maps were created to show how the distribution of people affects their access to resources such as education and medical care, and how we are increasingly pushing wildlife out of even the wildest corners of our planet. And with this as a baseline, Alan Belward, who leads the project, hopes to follow how emerging economies will change the face of the world, for better or for worse: "The true value will be in doing the map again."

Maps : http://www.newscientist.com/gallery/small-world/

A River Map.

Damn Spain as a lot of Rivers.

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Iormlund

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on April 22, 2009, 09:27:28 AM
Carmen San Diego took them. :weep:

Well she did manage to steal all the geysers in Iceland once.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

I always wondered how she was in the sack.  :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

I think the map overstates the ability to navagate in certain areas. For example, I've travelled in places that on the map are coloured as being less than two days away, and on the Canadian shield it would only be true if one assumes that you don't need to portage - that you could go by motorboat to a car the whole way. But the shield lakes & rivers are not so easily navagable, often you can't really do that.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2009, 09:35:41 AM

She will make off with your genitalia.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 09:29:59 AM
Well she did manage to steal all the geysers in Iceland once.

She stole major parts of planets and asteroid belts in Where in Space :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on April 22, 2009, 09:38:45 AM
Quote from: Caliga on April 22, 2009, 09:35:41 AM

She will make off with your genitalia.

Ah, her real name is Lorena then.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

lustindarkness

it's a world of laughter, a world or tears
its a world of hopes, its a world of fear
theres so much that we share
that its time we're aware
its a small world after all

CHORUS:
its a small, small world

There is just one moon and one golden sun
And a smile means friendship to everyone.
Though the mountains divide
And the oceans are wide
It's a small small world

(chorus)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

saskganesh

Quote from: Malthus on April 22, 2009, 09:36:59 AM
I think the map overstates the ability to navagate in certain areas. For example, I've travelled in places that on the map are coloured as being less than two days away, and on the Canadian shield it would only be true if one assumes that you don't need to portage - that you could go by motorboat to a car the whole way. But the shield lakes & rivers are not so easily navagable, often you can't really do that.

the lines of course are drawn for impact, not to scale. and many of those routes are seasonal and weather challenged.

and some of the roads look like below. and that's probably a good stretch. of course, this road is unusual as its paved. 

humans were created in their own image

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Iormlund

Am I the only one who's pltting intercept vectors on those convoys here?

Caliga

Quote from: Iormlund on April 22, 2009, 01:36:35 PM
Am I the only one who's pltting intercept vectors on those convoys here?

No.  It is critical that my supply of miniature American flags made in China and sold at Wal-Mart under the "MADE IN USA BUY AMERICAN" label is unimpeded.  :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Cool map, looks like the world is covered in molten rock.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point