Should we replace/reinstitute draft in the form of social work?

Started by Martinus, August 27, 2011, 07:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Zanza

Quote from: The Brain on August 27, 2011, 06:26:03 PM

I've changed my mind. She seems happy enough.
I was in a ski hut in Austria a couple of years ago. When washing the dishes, one of the other persons found a plate that read "Reichsarbeitsdienst 1937" on the back.

Habbaku

The draft should be reinstated, but only for the gays.  They can form their own penis battalions.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tonitrus

This "draft" for social work should consist of 18-20 year-old females working in pleasure baths, and 18-20 males in gladiatorial combat.  All for the amusement of us over-30 types.

Everyone else ages 20-30 can slave away in the mines/factories.  At age 60...time to go into the tanks. 

Ideologue

Quote from: Tonitrus on August 28, 2011, 12:50:52 AM
This "draft" for social work should consist of 18-20 year-old females working in pleasure baths, and 18-20 males in gladiatorial combat.  All for the amusement of us over-30 types.

Everyone else ages 20-30 can slave away in the mines/factories.  At age 60...time to go into the tanks.

I want a tank.  Wasn't there a movie about that once?
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tamas

Quote from: HVC on August 27, 2011, 09:08:00 AM
All that'll do is drive down the need and value of actual social workers with real skills and replace them with people who not only don't want the work but will probably be terrible at it. Do you really want your mom taken care if by some 18 year old idiot who doesn't want to be there?

wins the thread

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 04:43:37 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 27, 2011, 02:19:03 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 09:10:04 AM
I think that what we really need is more participation in the workforce by healthy 50-70 year-olds. But that will need a change of attitudes. A lot of people in their 50s jack their career in because they are sick of the stress and have enough cash. How can we lure some of these folk into having second careers that are very useful whilst being less stressful and less well-paid?
This is what's been happening.  Every single employment report is showing that older people are working it's the 16-25s who are getting shafted.  There's not the jobs, the old aren't retiring and they're expected to do numerous free internships - which is fine if you've got somewhere to stay in London but if not you're screwed.

I think you are getting close to the lump of labour fallacy here. Older people continuing to contribute are not the cause of youth unemployment. Fear of the double-dip is a more relevant factor I think, it takes a lot of time and cash to make a young worker productive...........in the current circumstances short-termism is rife  :(

Yes, but in general terms, if someone over 50 has enough money to voluntarily retire from the working world (well, that ain't a very much Hungarian phenomenom, gotta' tell you), wouldn't it be better for society if he/she did? He would continue to consume, while emptying a spot for someone else.

Josquius

There should certainly be more schemes to help young people get jobs but conscription is just criminal, whatever they're being used for.
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

Okay, we should conscript old people.  They can still carry a gun.  They can still absorb a bullet.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

grumbler

Quote from: Tamas on August 28, 2011, 02:48:46 AM
Yes, but in general terms, if someone over 50 has enough money to voluntarily retire from the working world (well, that ain't a very much Hungarian phenomenom, gotta' tell you), wouldn't it be better for society if he/she did? He would continue to consume, while emptying a spot for someone else.
I've never understood this kind of thinking.  The number of jobs in an economy may be finite, but it isn't fixed.  The fact that random person A holds a job may actually increase the chances that random person B can get a job, rather than reduce it.  This particularly true where person A is experienced enough to train newly hired but inexperienced perople, which wouldn't be hired at all if there was no one to teach them the job.

Maybe this kind of thinking is "a very much Hungarian phenomenom?"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!