Should we replace/reinstitute draft in the form of social work?

Started by Martinus, August 27, 2011, 07:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 09:10:04 AM
I think that what we really need is more participation in the workforce by healthy 50-70 year-olds. But that will need a change of attitudes. A lot of people in their 50s jack their career in because they are sick of the stress and have enough cash. How can we lure some of these folk into having second careers that are very useful whilst being less stressful and less well-paid?
Hmmm... that sounds like something I'd be ready to check out. I'm towards the end of my working career, though I could probably work for another ten years. But likely I'll retire in a few years, or five years at most, especially if I keep feeling the way I do now. But if I could find something a bit less stressful I might want to keep working longer, and working with people could be just the thing.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 27, 2011, 02:25:51 PM
The entire raison d'etre of the US federal government is to transfer wealth from working age people to retirees.  I don't think we need another form of transfer.

Really?  And I thought it was to fight Indians.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

I think that what we really need is more participation in the workforce by healthy 50-70 year-olds. But that will need a change of attitudes. A lot of people in their 50s jack their career in because they are sick of the stress and have enough cash. How can we lure some of these folk into having second careers that are very useful whilst being less stressful and less well-paid?

Build a Walmart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 27, 2011, 02:19:03 PM
This is what's been happening.  Every single employment report is showing that older people are working it's the 16-25s who are getting shafted.  There's not the jobs, the old aren't retiring and they're expected to do numerous free internships - which is fine if you've got somewhere to stay in London but if not you're screwed.

I think you are getting close to the lump of labour fallacy here. Older people continuing to contribute are not the cause of youth unemployment. Fear of the double-dip is a more relevant factor I think, it takes a lot of time and cash to make a young worker productive...........in the current circumstances short-termism is rife  :(

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: KRonn on August 27, 2011, 03:08:28 PM
Hmmm... that sounds like something I'd be ready to check out. I'm towards the end of my working career, though I could probably work for another ten years. But likely I'll retire in a few years, or five years at most, especially if I keep feeling the way I do now. But if I could find something a bit less stressful I might want to keep working longer, and working with people could be just the thing.

Yes, my missus, at 47, is losing her mojo for working long hours and taking heavy responsibilities. We are moving towards less stressful alternatives. I remain convinced that she will still work at least 40 hours a week in something or other.............probably something in the community I think  :cool:

mongers

In the UK aren't most of the people now shouting for 'national service' largely people who never had to do it ? 

iirc you'd need to be 70+ to have done it in the UK.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Norgy

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2011, 07:58:22 AM

Discuss.

Hell no. While the basic idea is good, it's just too much of a hassle for anyone to really get something good from it. There could be a voluntary work idea, like there was in the 30s. But fuck compulsion.

Ed Anger

I know if I had bee forced to do social work when I was 17, there would be no way in hell I'd ever do charity work when I'm in my 40's. I would have remained pissed off. I think the nation would get a better value from my charity when I'm established than when I was a surly 17 year old.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

Quote from: Martinus on August 27, 2011, 07:58:22 AM
There is an article in this week's the Economist that got me thinking.

Many countries which used to have draft/compulsory military training had an option for conscience objectors to serve it as social workers instead. This would usually involve working in hospitals or homes for the elderly, caring for the sick and the infirm etc.

Now that many countries abandon draft, this is also being phased out. But as a society we are getting older and we need social workers, and there just isn't enough volunteers. Should we require the young to spend 6-12 months as social carers?

Discuss.

If you force someone to do something, you better be prepared to face the consequences of disobedience, sabotage, etc.  The military can handle that.  What about hospitals?  "Oh sorry I gave the wrong medicine to that guy, haha."

Zanza

Quote from: Monoriu on August 27, 2011, 06:01:27 PMIf you force someone to do something, you better be prepared to face the consequences of disobedience, sabotage, etc.  The military can handle that.  What about hospitals?  "Oh sorry I gave the wrong medicine to that guy, haha."

It's not the humans that are in danger. People are usually decent when it comes to taking care of handicapped or sick or old people, so no worries there.
But you should fear for equipment. I accidently destroyed some pretty expensive lab equipment during my service because I simply didn't know how to handle it correctly. Other people I know destroyed cars that were meant to transport the people they took care of. It's pretty awkward when you have to explain why the bus you drove is lying on the side on some parking lot because you tried powerslides... ;) But as you are forced to serve, you can't be held liable short of gross negligence, which is hard to prove.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

The answer is 10.  It's not "rad" to not know arithmetic.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Razgovory

I figure if I get drafted, by God someone better give me a gun for my trouble.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 08:23:24 AM
Yeah, but drafting them for 2 years only postpones their usefulness even further.

Yeah, that's what college is for.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on August 27, 2011, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 27, 2011, 08:23:24 AM
Yeah, but drafting them for 2 years only postpones their usefulness even further.

Yeah, that's what college is for.

They wouldn't give me a gun either.  They did give me a plunger though.  They said I could keep after what I did with it.